buying a Quicksilver

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by comda, Feb 13, 2015.

1. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Greetings.

I recently came across an ad with a G4 Quicksilver that is being sold for parts as is. The description didnt show any specs but listed a link to Everymac.coms 02' 1ghz dual CPU quicksilver model.

The owner stated that the system needs a new hard drive but its probably the Power supply thats not working.
    I've never had any Power Macintosh other then a beige G3. All i have is Imacs and an Emac. I Did work on some B&W models my school used to have but thats it.

What i wish to know is that are these Powersupplies usually common to die in these models? Or is there actually something else wrong with this machine maybe that the seller isnt telling me.

I also want to know what to look for when looking at this machine as ill be going on sunday to meet the fellow. Its a cash to item exchange no Ebay.

Im not sure what to look. Only thing i can think of it if the CPU, RAM, HDD caddy is there etc?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, in my experience the PSU is pretty reliable. So, it could be the HD. What exactly did the seller say about the condition?

Without an HD if the PSU is good you would at least get the flashing question mark on the display. But if the seller pushes the power button and nothing happens that could be something else (and not necessarily the PSU).

That said, QS parts on eBay are fairly easy to find. The Dual 1.0GHZ model was the high end for the QS.

Note that there's no 'HD caddy' per se. Just the aluminum holder that all G4s up to the QS (not the MDDs) have. In a stock QS it will be on the bottom right.

3. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

The seller said nothing else. Just that its for parts and possibly a PSU on top of a failing drive. Other then that he said everything should work. Once i get there and see it i will see if the specs match the ones on the site if he actually got the right model or just googled and found this page. The seller wants $10. So i think either way as long as its all there i will take it. Comes with keyboard and mouse.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I think that for $10 you can order some parts to repair it and come out ahead. If it is a dual 1 GHz, those are rather rare and worth more to QuickSilver lovers.

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

By all means buy it for $10...

If you don't, let me know where it is :)

6. weckart macrumors 68040

You can pay more than $10 just for the heatsink. If you don't mind a minor project than this is a no-brainer.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

There's someone on craigslist in Northeast Mesa selling a MDD FW800 for $15.

If I wasn't between paychecks I'd drive the 40 minutes it'd take me to get there.

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I can give you a partial payment on the deal we worked out on the processors if you want to go get it :)

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Thanks. I PMed you back. Waiting to hear if it's still for sale. The ad was posted 26 days ago.