Buying a Refurb (Canada)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Thunderbird, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Thunderbird macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

I am thinking of buying a refurb from the Canadian Apple website store. Do the refurbs ship from Canada or the U.S.? If they ship from the U.S. will I have to pay customs on it?

Thanks

2. greg555 macrumors 6502a

My refurb white iMac came from California. I didn't have to pay any extra taxes, duty, or customs fees when I got it.

Greg (in Saskatchewan)

3. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

yeah i heard they all come from california. there's most likely no customs. They've been doing refurbs for a long time so i'd expect them to make everything easy for the customer.

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Mine shipped from California as well.

Customs fees won't be an issue. Apple is an official business here in Canada, so they're allowed to import their own merchandise. Your refurb will be bought on the Apple Canada website, and thus your purchase is made in Canada.

5. Thunderbird thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

Right, I think I understand....Because I'm ordering it through a Canadian website dealer which happens to get those particular units from the U.S. and drop-shipped to me, it's considered a Canadian sale. Gotcha.

I forgot to ask: Do white refurb iMacs still ship with Tiger, or does Apple put Leopard on them now?

Edit: never mind, I now see from the refurb page (which was down for a while) that the Macs ship with leopard.

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

That's the simplified version, but yes, essentially that's how it works.

I hope everything comes together for you.

7. Thunderbird thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

Ok, close to pulling the trigger.... If I get a white iMac refurb and buy extended Apple warranty with it, is there anything that could potentially go wrong with the iMac that could not be fixed? And if Apple, for whatever reason, are not able to fix a refurb, do they offer a replacement refurb?....is there is such a thing?

8. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

As long as it's within warranty, and whatever goes wrong is Apple's fault (defect, dud, etc), then Apple will try to fix it first. If that can't be done, or doesn't work, then they will replace it with whatever equivalent they have. It might be another refurb. It might be a new product.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You have a full year to buy Applecare. Until then you are under the original warranty. Buy Applecare on eBay where you can get a substantial (~40-50%) discount.

10. Thunderbird thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

Thanks. I guess I'm mostly worried about screen issues. So if Apple is unable to fix it then they might offer to replace it with another refurb, and if there happens to be no more white iMac refurbs at the time they may replace it with an equivalent value of a new model......sweet :)

Thanks again. I hope you have fun playing around with your iPhone. I too am waiting for the day when it comes to Canada.