Buying a refurb MBA now. 1.8 or 1.6?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by aaquib, Apr 6, 2009.

1. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I've decided to go with an SSD refurb and am torn between the 1.6 and 1.8 SSD model. The 1.8 is an extra $100, but it's $100 which may be over my budget and I'm not sure if I'll really notice a difference. The reason I want the 1.8 is because I'm coming from a 2.0 MB and 1.8 doesn't seem as bad as downgrading to a 1.6.

HELP! Is the 1.8 vs. the 1.6 worth it????

2. aaquib thread starter macrumors 65816

aaquib

Just to give an update: I went with the 1.6 SSD refurb. I was on the phone with the Apple salesmen for a good half an hour and he pretty much convinced me that there was no point in going for the 1.8 if I wasn't going to be doing any heavy encoding with the machine.

Thanks for all the help around here. 3-5 business days to ship, and then another 2-5 days for expedite shipping. Hopefully here by Monday :D

But I forgot to add the printer! Hopefully they'll let me add it in tomorrow.

3. Halon X macrumors regular

The SSD is a much better upgrade and more noticeable performance wise than the .2 GHz.

You'll be very happy with your purchase!

4. raclotz macrumors member

raclotz

go for the 1.8/// i guess you wont find the difference and if you want to save the 100 bucks now... i think it will pinch you later...

5. aaquib thread starter macrumors 65816

aaquib

Well I don't see how exactly I'd notice the .2GHz. My brother uses a MB 2.4 vs my current MB 2.0 and I can't notice any difference at all when using it for day-to-day stuff. Heck, even the Apple employee told me I wouldn't need it.

6. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

You'd never notice the .2 GHz difference so you've made the right choice. It'll slighty hurt resale value, but not by $100.

Enjoy. SSDs are like the Apple of harddrives.

7. tomtomtom macrumors newbie

I had the same dilemma 2 month ago, and decided to go with the 1.6ghz. I am more than happy with the performances, especially using Adobe CS4. That thing is just flawless. I am quite an heavy user of multi-task and graphic applications...

Bottom line: go with the 1.6ghz

$100 extra for piece of mind? no way, you'll spend them on the refurb revB when it comes out if you need more performance...