Buying a refurb Penryn 2.4 to replace SR 2.4?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cubedweller, Oct 20, 2008.

1. cubedweller macrumors 6502

Here's the deal: I currently own a SR 2.4 MBP that I do not yet own Apple Care for. My warranty is set to expire in December and I've been planning on purchasing AC. Here's my dilemma: payout 350$ + tax to purchase Apple Care for my year old MBP ... or ... sell my current MBP (eBay, CL, opinions?) for as much as I can get for it and purchase a new-refurbished 2.4 MBP (currently going for ~1350$ + tax).

My assumption is I will get at least 1K for it (it's in mint condition, 4GB ram); that means I end up with a newer model MBP for nearly the same price (maybe eat a little in sales tax, but who cares?). Granted, there's not much difference but the more power efficient processor, better battery life?, bigger hard drive and multi-touch trackpad are pushing me towards this swap -- any opinions?

Thanks!~
    ~E

2. tsvb macrumors 6502

I would say other than a marginal performance increase you would get the multi touch gestures with the touch pad and another year of warranty...or you could get AC off ebay like I did for a touch over $200 and get two more years of warranty for your already nice machine.

3. cubedweller thread starter macrumors 6502

I've seen those "deals" on eBay -- I'm always hesitant to believe such deals. What if they've already registered? Could it be for the wrong product? Are all the MBP AppleCare bundles equivalent?

I also saw MBP AC up on Amazon.com for around 299$ -- again, I have the same hesitations.

That, and I really want that stupid tackpad-- I have no idea why! It's like an addiction!

~E

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I thought there is no tax on AC cause it is a warranty :confused:

If the $ ends up being the same, why not get a better machine? true you will get 1 year less coverage, but maybe you can do this again in a year? :D