Buying a refurbished Mac from PC World

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nick9191, Dec 29, 2010.

1. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Hi,

I was planning on buying a refurbished Mac from PC World and have some questions.

1. Are the machines refurbished by Apple or PC World. If the latter, to the same quality? Is their an authorised Apple refurbisher scheme etc?

2. Is my warranty with Apple or PC World?

Thanks in advance :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple does not sell refurbished models through 3rd parties. They only sell them on their own site.

3. nick9191 thread starter macrumors 68040

PC World (The UK company, not the magazine) sells refurbished Macs on their store though.

I take it from your response that in that case they are both refurbished and warranty maintained by PC World.

4. RossJamieson macrumors newbie

RossJamieson

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

You are dealing completely with PC World if you buy it from them, you can obviously still get AppleCare from Apple on it too either via PC World or Apple.

RossJamieson
    http://www.twitter.com/Ross_Jamieson

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can only buy AppleCare while a computer is still covered by Apple's 1-year warranty. If that warranty has expired, you cannot buy AppleCare, even if the "refurbished" model from PC World has a PC World warranty.

6. iBecks macrumors 6502

Some good prices.

This is from the pcworld.co.uk website product information.

"This refurbished laptop has been professionally checked, tested and repackaged. It comes with a reassuring 12-month warranty and offers fantastic savings over the 'as new' price.

Please note: Apple Care is not applicable to this product."

7. nick9191 thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks chaps. Instead of this I used my Uni education discount and just ordered a new 11" MacBook Air with 4GB RAM for about the same price.

And now we play the waiting game...