Buying a refurbished MacBook Air from Apple

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by WillEH, Feb 4, 2014.

1. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Hi, is there any really difference between buying a refurbished mac air from a brand new one?

Apple says it has 1 year warranty from purchase and I can still buy apple care? Anything I should be concerned about? I also save £150 on the 13inch later model.

Also can I buy AppleCare later say in 2 months instead of buying it with the laptop.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/F...nch-macbook-air-13ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple refurbished products are considered by most to be a very good deal, as they're pretty much like buying a new Mac, except for the box.
    Click the link in that quote for more details on the refurbishment process.
    • Apple Certified Refurbished Products are available online from the Apple Refurb Store and are not sold in local Apple stores
    • Educational discounts do not apply to refurb products.
    • Refurb products come with the same warranty as new products, and qualify for AppleCare, which can be purchased anytime within the first year while the product is still covered by warranty
    • Refurb products have a changed serial number that identifies them as refurbished
    • Refurb products come with whatever OS version and software they originally shipped with as new
    • Refurb products come with the same items in the box as new products, only the box is a plain one, not the new box.
    • A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do
    • A refurb Mac notebook may have some cycles on the battery, but not a significant enough amount to affect usable life
    • The refurb store inventory changes frequently, sometimes several times a day, and doesn't have any direct relation to upcoming product releases. What's available in the refurb store is determined by what has been returned to Apple.
    • If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.

3. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    agree with GJStudios comments, however it depends if you want the latest model or not.
    for example, as far as 11” MBA’s go (Australian Store), there’s only one current Air available a saving of $171 - the others are superseded models (save $250)

so check the specs and the release date in the description carefully.
    if you’re happy with a superseded model and to save $250, then go for it.
    otherwise I’d plug for the current model or, if not available, then pay full price and try to get EDU pricing if you can …

4. Zxxv Suspended

Thats the one I just bought. Lovely. came with 4 cycles on battery. Cant fault it. Thought I'd want retina but now looking at retina seems to shiny, air looks more like paper which is something I really like about the kindle.

You can buy apple care 1 day before the year warranty runs out. I did that with my iPhone 4S

edit. with apple tv you can mirror or extend your desktop over airplay. Its frickin amazing what apple has done. Love computers :)

----------

Check HOTUKDEALS for macbook applecare. There was a very good deal posted the other week. They come up now and again.

5. 7thMac macrumors 6502

I picked up a refurbished MBA a couple of months ago. It looked new - 6 cycles on the battery. I've owned many Apple products but believe that self-insurance makes more sense in my situation than AppleCare.

6. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I've bought at least 6 Macbooks and IMacs refurbished, and each one was in incredible condition. No complaints - I'll do it again.

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

One thing that annoyed me when I bought my refurb, it did not come with iWork, iLife etc bundled. Not a deal breaker but still annoying. The fine print says it may or may not come with such bundled Apps.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My new computer didn't come with iWork either.

9. Zxxv Suspended

Mine was available as a download from the app store. A pop up notification told me.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

This should be a moot point now, as all computer (refurbished or not) purchased after October of 2013 are supposed to be eligible to get iWork for free from the App store.

11. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

from my perspective

1. apple refurb is a usage/second macbook with 1 year full warranty
    2. apple will check-out this macbook with QC

if this macbook come with 1 year warranty, so why you worry?

12. MacGeekAZ macrumors member

I just ordered a refurbished MacBook Air, and it's on its way! It's a great deal. It's the latest model (mid-2013), "ultimate" version - everything maxed out (8GB RAM, i7 processor, and 512GB hard drive). I saved around $300 buying it refurbished. I do live 5 min. from an Apple store, and with the 1-year guarantee, I know I can get help quickly if there's an issue.