Buying a Refurbished MBP (15" Retina) during hardware refreshes

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NorEaster, Oct 21, 2013.

1. NorEaster macrumors regular

Hi everyone - I'm looking for some advice (hopefully from folks who've done this in the past) on buying a refurbished MBP when a hardware refresh has just been released.

I've had my eye on a MBP 15" Retina (16GB RAM, 512GB SSD) for some time now but have held off on getting one, knowing that Apple is expected to release a Haswell refresh of the MBP line. My budget is limited (sigh) so I'm targeting a refurbished MBP since I know I won't be able to afford a new Haswell MBP at the spec level that I want.

So my questions are this:
    Does the price of refurbished models drop (on Apple's online store) immediately after the announcement of refreshed hardware? Or do the price drops happen immediately after the hardware is actually released? Or do the price drops happen some time after the new hardware is released?

Has anyone ever purchased refurbished (last year's model) immediately after a hardware refresh? If so...and the price of your model dropped, were you able to get a refund on the price difference?

Ultimately, I'm trying to understand when I should pull the trigger on getting a MBP knowing since I really need a new laptop soon but also want to maximize my savings.

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Wait until tomorrow to see. If the demand is high they usually don't drop until refurbished new models appear (and that takes a couple of months).

3. NorEaster thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I don't want a refurbished Haswell (well, I do, but I can't wait until they appear). What I'm trying to evaluate is this: When is the best time, from a cost perspective, to buy a refurbished current-gen (non-Haswell) MBP given that the new Haswell MBP is about to be announced and hopefully released for sale?

For example, a refurbished current-gen MBP 15" Retina can be bought today for roughly $2300 (given the specs that I want). Assuming new Haswell MBP's are announced tomorrow, will the current-gen (non-Haswell) refurbished MBP's price drop after tomorrow or stay at $2300?

Assuming that the new Haswell MBP's are actually released (for purchase) sometime soon (let's say Oct 31), would the current-gen (non-Haswell) refurbished MBP price drop after Oct 31 or continue to stay at $2300?

Does Apple have the habit of keeping the pricing of refurbished current-gen models constant even after the release of new models?

I'm hoping someone has evaluated this kind of scenario - and attempted to take advantage of any price drops on current-gen hardware as new models are announced and released. :)

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

You need to watch what you put in your thread title!

Assuming the the "Classic" MBP won't be refreshed, since no one expects it to be, the refurbished CMBP will not drop in price when a new RMBP is announced. But I'd certainly wait to see what happens tomorrow.

If they do happen to put Haswell chips into the CMBP tomorrow, than my previous post comments apply.