Buying a replacement Super Drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by excalibur313, Mar 10, 2010.

1. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

I've been having issues with my superdrive on my 1st gen 15" MBP. I am looking into getting a replacement but I am curious how specific I need to be about the super drive i buy. I found a drive that is in newer macbook pros but it doesn't mention the older models and I wondered if other people ran into this: Superdrive.

Thanks a lot for your help!
    Take care,
    Stephen

EDIT: Sorry, I thought I was being specific enough with the term "1st gen". What I mean by it is that this is the first generation macbook pro that was bought in spring 2006 (1,1). Thanks for the advice about yours though, that's very helpful.

2. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

You don't say how old your MBP is, so it is hard to advise. Did you look at your system preferences, (in about this mac), to see what the drive is?

I had to replace my Superdrive in my 2006 MBP and I ended up getting a Superdrive for a 2007. It was easy to replace and install and works perfectly.

Since this item is on ebay, send the seller a message as ask him/her if it will fit your MBP.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Ask the seller for a photo of the connector end and compare it to the one you have now (or, compare it to photos of ones that are listed to fit yours).