Buying a Retina MBP on holiday

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raymondkerr, Apr 28, 2013.

1. raymondkerr macrumors regular

I am going to the US from the UK next month and have been considering buying a new MBP, maybe the 13" Retina model.

The question I have, if new MBPs were to be released shortly after WWDC, would I be able to return to a UK Apple store and upgrade to the newer model ?

I know apple used to offer a return/upgrade offer if new models were released within a 30 day period. Would this be honord if it was bought in a different country ?

2. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I think if you are within the 14 day window should be able to do so if both are Apple Stores.

3. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Wow, that's a good question. I live in Brazil and I would like to know if I buy a rMBP in the U.S. I'll be able to upgrade to the newer model.

4. raymondkerr thread starter macrumors regular

I wasn't sure if it was 14 days or 30 days. I think by the time I've made the purchase and returned to the UK, WWDC will have happened within 14 days, but unless Apple make the new MBPs available on the day of announcement, then I'll probably be out with the 14 day period.

I'm not sure if Haswell is worth waiting for as I'm not a power user as such, just the usual iPhoto and iMovie user. The money I'd save by buying in the US would allow me to buy other stuff that I need. Unless we were guaranted that Apple were going to release retina Airs, then I think I'll be going with the 13" rMBP.

Decisions ? Decisions ? :rolleyes:

5. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

A lot of times they will increase it to 30 days when new equipment comes out. Also, if you sweet talk a manager, they usually will do it even if Apple does not change it from standard 14.

6. tomtakesphotos macrumors newbie

I thought about buying a US model too. My friend got one and it has the US keyboard layout... a few things in different places. Just something to bear in mind.

In my experience of retail (previously manager in an electronics store) I'd guess that you couldn't return a US macbook to a UK apple store + I'd imagine your warranty would be a bit hard to service too. But best bet is to ask in your local apple store.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm a bit skeptical that you would be able to return a US purchased laptop in a UK apple store. Perhaps calling the UK apple store to confirm if you can before deciding that might be the case depending on apple's release schedule.

8. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

You won't be able to return it to a UK store, as they are legally different entities operating under the global brand of Apple. The UK branch is run out of Ireland as "Apple Distribution International".

However, your warranty will be international, so you'll be able to get service on your MBP in the future. However, if you want AppleCare you will have to purchase it in the US, as applying the UK package to a US laptop is something they throw a hissy fit at.

9. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

The keyboard on the US model is different from the UK model. You can order one with a British keyboard on the Apple US store for delivery to a local Apple Store. You also have to factor in local sales tax of between 6 and 8% and the strength of the pound into the equation.

Taking a 13" Retina MBP 2.6/8/256 as an example, the base price is $1699. Shipping to The Woodlands Apple Store on the outskirts of Houston adds $140.17 in tax, bringing the total to $1839.17. At today's exchange rates on xe.com that is £1,181.44 or on travelex.co.uk it works out as £1212. You can claim back the sales tax at the airport by filling in a form and presenting the appropriate documentation and the MacBook. This brings the price down to £1119. When you come back into the UK you would have to declare the MacBook Pro. There is no import duty so you would just have to pay VAT at 20%. This would bring the price up to £1342.80.

If you buy this model on the UK Apple Store it costs £1449. You can buy a refurbished 2.5GHz model for £1149.

10. mankymanning macrumors regular

Leave box in the US, bung it in a backpack.

I'd still buy a UK model though.