Buying a rMBP now and returning when the new one comes out.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingston1987, Sep 21, 2016.

  1. kingston1987 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2016
    #1
    Hello forums,

    First off I would like to apologize for being another one of those people that keep posting "Should I buy now or wait" threads (and yes I am aware the general rule of thumb or answer I'm going to get is, "IF I need it now, just get it," but hear me out on my story.)

    I was a proud owner of a 2015 13" rMBP base model for the last year, and recently while driving back to my university I got involved in a car crash that thankfully I wasn't injured too bad, but my laptop was destroyed. I was T-boned and my laptop was sitting in the sleeve on the passenger side. The screen had 8 hairline cracks and huge visible dents to my laptop. I brought it in apple and they said repairs would basically almost cost the amount of the laptop itself.

    Desperate for a laptop for school, I just immediately bought another 13" rMBP, but the guys at the store told me the new one MIGHT be coming out soon this upcoming month. So my question is, IF the new one comes out within 14 days from today, could I just bring it in store with my receipt and exchange it? and IF it doesn't come out until the end of October, would they let me do returns and exchange twice until the laptop comes out? (IF I kept it sealed and unopened)

    This sounds complicated only because I had to borrow this money from my parents who bought it for me as an emergency, trouble is I go to school 8 hours from them so they had to buy it for me now while I was visiting them this weekend.
     
  2. killawat macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2014
    #2
    If you are willing to keep it sealed up why not just return it the first time and order online once it's released.
     
  3. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #3
    If you try to return the laptop beyond the 14 days, you may have better luck if it is unopened, though you're still on the hook of how the manager feels, i.e,., he's under no compulsion to take the return.

    If you're looking to buy a laptop and then return it 2 weeks, later, why not just hold off. Also contact your insurance company to see if they can cut you a check to buy a new laptop without you being on the hook.
     
  4. Jaekae macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2012
    #4
    If you going to keep it unopened theres no point keeping it at all now so return for money and wait, if you have to wait for to long time maby buy again, but i think new ones come in october or november
     
  5. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2008
    #5
    Sorry to hear about your situation. That sucks big time, but I'm glad you're ok. There is a strong likelihood that a new MBPs will be announced in October, likely sometime within the next 4 weeks. If you pre-order right at midnight, I would anticipate getting it before Nov 1st. Keep in mind, these are estimates for the latest you would get one, it could be up to two weeks earlier. This is the most probable scenario.

    I would return the one you have now by the 14th day and if at all possible, see if there is a laptop (any laptop) that you could borrow for the very short period to carry you over. Let's face it, all you probably need to limp by until then is a word processor and the internet. Heck, while inconvenient, even your school's library might do.

    Just consider it a minor sacrifice in the name of getting the all new Mac Book Pro!
     
  6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #6
    To be honest just keep what you have got the current 13 inch rMBP is a top product with few issues, perfect for studying.
     
  7. bbasra, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016

    bbasra macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2012
    #7
    Return your current one within 14 days.
    Order another one online.
    Wait 13.5 days,
    Logon and click refund.
    You then have another 14 days to schedule a courier and return it.
    new one hopefully come out :)

    EDIT - Just to confirm - I've never done this. I'm waiting patiently for the refresh :)
     
  8. Fishrrman macrumors G5

    Fishrrman

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #8
    Unethical.

    You're better off to… just wait.
     
  9. lambertjohn macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2012
    #9
    That's just wrong. Are there any honest people left in the world?
     
  10. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #10
    It depends on your usage, and even then...

    Honestly, if you're simply using it for paper writing and studying, why bother return it at all?

    It's not like having the latest intel processor in there will make it any faster, you'd barely be pushing 5+ year old hardware if you're like most computer users I know.
     
  11. bniu macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2010
    #11
    If all you need to do is write a couple papers, even an iPad would do, and in a pinch, an iPhone could work as well. Honestly, I may use my macbook pro about 1-2 times a week. I'm using my iPad Pro most nights and my iPhone 6S+, that thing never leaves my sight. The things you can do on mobile devices these days are a lot and for the most part, they've eliminated my daily use of my macbook pro. Of course, there are some tasks I need my macbook pro for, but for everything else, my iOS devices do the job.
     
  12. izzyfanto macrumors regular

    izzyfanto

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2011
    #12
    Or even a old cheapo laptop laying around? Just waiting till the new ones will give you a good idea if you want one, or if not the older model will have dropped in price.
     
  13. zhaoxin macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2015
    #13
    You should just tell you parents your situation, they will understand. I don't see the necessity to keep this as a secret from your parents.
     

Share This Page