Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paul3408

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2015
Hi all

I'm fully aware of most of the scams when buying a used phone, but the one thing that worries me is if I buy a phone that has been reset so I can get my find your iPhone onto it . And unlocked! Can they say two months later report it stollen ( insurance scam) and get the phone locked by EE or O2 by using the ime no ,then I end up with a brick ?

Is this possible ?

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Make sure you have some kind of proof you have bought the phone. And as soon as you get the phone, include it to your account. Beware where the phone you are buying from.

Paul3408

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2015
Yes I understand that, but what I need to know was if the phone could be locked after i registered the phone with my iTunes

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
After you have done the proper procedure, no one could claim your iphone any more.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Hi all

I'm fully aware of most of the scams when buying a used phone, but the one thing that worries me is if I buy a phone that has been reset so I can get my find your iPhone onto it . And unlocked! Can they say two months later report it stollen ( insurance scam) and get the phone locked by EE or O2 by using the ime no ,then I end up with a brick ?

Is this possible ?

Yes, that is a possibility.
They can claim that it got lost/stolen and then get the IMEI blacklisted.
Or if the phone was purchased under a payment plan or contract and the customer stops paying the bill.
There's many different ways you can get scammed buying used.
Its a risk no matter what.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
EE and o2 are mobile phone networks within the UK.

I have seen instances on MacRumors where people have bought a second hand iPhone and some months later the seller has contacted their network and reported the phone as lost/stolen.

The IMEI is then blacklisted leaving someone out of pocket and with a brick.

Whereabouts are you considering buying said second hand iPhone from?

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
iPhones don't depreciate very fast so I can't imagine why you would buy a used one and run the risks to save maybe $100.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
EE and o2 are mobile phone networks within the UK.

I have seen instances on MacRumors where people have bought a second hand iPhone and some months later the seller has contacted their network and reported the phone as lost/stolen.

The IMEI is then blacklisted leaving someone out of pocket and with a brick.
If that happened on Verizon, Verizon would unblacklist the phone if you contact Verizon equipment fraud department, tell them what happened and went into a Verizon corporate store with the phone and showed ID.

You also could file a police report for fraud here in the US against the seller. The cops wouldn't do anything but it would help your civil lawsuit against the seller.

idk about any other carrier but Verizon, but Verizon would help you out if you had been using the phone on your line and someone did that to you. If you had not been using the phone on your line, then no. You have to get through to the right department - equipment fraud.

----------

iPhones don't depreciate very fast so I can't imagine why you would buy a used one and run the risks to save maybe $100.
$100 plus sales tax minimum - if you are willing to overlook some scratches on the housing of the device, even more.

----------

Make sure you have some kind of proof you have bought the phone. And as soon as you get the phone, include it to your account.
Yes, this is key. Get something in writing and then activate it right away on the line.

Personally, I would have the person meet me in a Verizon store and ask the reps to verify that the ESN was clean and that the device was not financed through Edge. Verizon will do that for you.

Paul3408

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2015
Thanks all

I have a iphone 5 at the moment but iphone 6 are selling around £400 second hand, I got my iPhone 5 from gumtree without any problems, I'm just concerned at the iphone 6 ?

jianrong

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2015
Mine was brand new. I had the guy who recontracting at telco store. The staff inserted my sim into iphone and activated. Its lock to my icloud and itunes id. And i had the purchase receipt from telco shop. I just dont have the recontract agreement which belong to the guy. I keep my receipt safe. The receipt had the guy name and staff name.

Paul3408

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2015
thanks for the reply, I'm having troble trying in understanding your point if you purchase a new phone why would you have any trouble with it getting locked ?

Ok , if I buy a stollen iphone 6 ( I'm not ) how would the phone get block , would they send something down to the sim card, or buy using the ime number ( if the find my iPhone feature was switch of )

Last edited:

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
thanks for the reply, I'm having troble trying in understanding your point if you purchase a new phone why would you have any trouble with it getting locked ?

Ok , if I buy a stollen iphone 6 ( I'm not ) how would the phone get block , would they send something down to the sim card, or buy using the ime number ( if the find my iPhone feature was switch of )

Save the headaches and buy brand new.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I would only buy used if it was at least $200 below retail. Anything more than that, no way. I buy and sell used phones on Craigslist a lot. Every time I do I'm taking a risk. I've ended up with two blacklisted phones in two years, luckily I was able to unlock and sold them to someone abroad.

fiddysent

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2010
Rock Hill. NY
Thanks all

I have a iphone 5 at the moment but iphone 6 are selling around £400 second hand, I got my iPhone 5 from gumtree without any problems, I'm just concerned at the iphone 6 ?

if you buy through a website and use something like paypal to pay you should be fine. If the phone turns out to be lost/stolen file a chargeback to your credit card. I would never buy a used phone with cash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.