buying a second hand macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crembo9, Jun 18, 2010.

1. crembo9 macrumors newbie

Hi All!

im thinking on buying a second hand macbook pro the latest model 15"
    with the 2.66 processor. according to the guy that im buying from the computer is 6 months old.

im not sure what stuff i should check before completing the deal...
    if someone can help me with a list of things that should be check when buying a second hand computer it will be very helpful

thanks!!!;)

2. Gavbo macrumors member

The first thing I check is the warrantly status, so grab the serial number of the system and enter it on the link below, it will tell you how old the machine is and if applecare is still available.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

After that, visal inspection for pyshical damages, battery cycles, check and make sure there is no pressure marks on the screen, use the system for a hour or so, make sure there is no overheating issues, crashes etc.

Lastly is impossible to inspect internal liquid damage so personally I feel this is the biggest risk when buying secondhand.

Hope this helps.

3. crembo9 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks it helped a lot

but one more question.
    i mention the liquid damage, if it had such thing shouldn't it effect the computer on the spot?

thanks again.

4. Gavbo macrumors member

Depends on the amount of liquid I guess, while heavy liquid damage will affect the system rightaway, some light splits may not as the corrosion takes time to develop. Is a only a protental risk as I have purchased used macs in the past with no problems :)

Best wishes.