Buying a second hand MBP now. Should I wait or should I go?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jungeliest, Feb 27, 2010.

1. jungeliest macrumors member

Got this fantastic deal:

5 months old 13" MBP w/ AppleCare, 2.26 Ghz 2 GB RAM.
    For 750 GBP, or 1150 dollars.

He is selling his computer, because he is waiting for Arrandale, he says.

Just wondering if I should do the same?

2. SamTheeGeek macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

Not really a good deal in my opinion, true the Apple care is worth it but you could get a new 13" Macbook Pro base model 2.26 for 1,199,00$ w/o apple care from apple.com not much of a difference for the price.

In my opinion wait like me hehe :D

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Not a very good buy.. It's 1199$ from the Apple store and that's only 50$ cheaper. Even though it has AppleCare, it's not worth it. 999$ sounds better

4. Jonny75 macrumors member

You can't equate £ to $ on this one as most posting here are quoting the US Apple Store which is irrelevant to you. You need to compare it to the UK Apple store.

In fact, it's a reasonable deal. You can get a refurb from Apple from £765 but the Apple Care for a laptop is £199. So an equivalent deal for you is £964.

However, if you are - or know - a student you could do better.

Interestingly this week Amazon UK are selling a new 13" Pro for £819, significantly undercutting Apple.

As for waiting for Arrandale, it depends on what you need the machine for. Hang around here and you'd believe you _need_ an all singing and dancing top spec machine, whereas I'd bet most forum readers' computers never reach anything like their full CPU use for more than a couple of hours in their lifetime. (Fishing!)

5. jungeliest thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies!

Well, I deal with Logic Pro and Cubase.
    Most of the time 20+ tracks at once.

Due to newer tech used in Arrandale we all tend to believe that it's the way to go, but actually first gen hardware comes usually with problems concerning compatibility & stability.

Yep, I'm a little confused :)