Buying a second mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cruftuun, Sep 13, 2015.

1. cruftuun macrumors newbie

Current: retina macbook pro mid 2012 i7 with 512 SSD (keeping). External monitor and keyboard for desktop use at home. Commutes to work with macbook everyday.

I'm not sure if I should buy an iMac, or a second Macbook Pro. Maybe this is an easy decision, and I'm just too starstruck by the Macbook to see it. If I get an iMac, it will stay at home, and the Macbook will be for work and work related events, travel, etc. The thought with getting a second Macbook Pro is I never felt like I sacrificed performance leaving the iMac + Air combo to the rMBP - maybe I'd realize some benefit to having two powerful portable platforms.

Really I was hoping this would be addressed by the iPad Pro, which I hoped would run OS X. Once, I tried bringing my iPad to work - got a keyboard and downloaded the iOS versions of the software I use. Conclusion: iPad Poweruser is an oxymoron.

Thanks for any input.

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

The iMac is great if you need a larger screen or more power for price. But it sounds like you just want a new MBP. If so, then sell the old one to offset the cost of the MBP and even pay for better specs.

3. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

i was in a similar situation, bought a used Mid-2010 13" MBP for cheap and upgraded the RAM and replace the stock HD w/ an SSD. just recently got a good deal on a used Mid-2011 13" MBA(like new, 155 battery cycle count) and is running Yosemite.

i now use the MBP(w/dual monitors) as the desktop and the MBA for portability. i use both for work, internet and light photo editing. looking to get either an iMac or Mac Mini as a dedicated desktop to replace my old Windows desktop. prob give my MBP to my sister cause her Windows laptop is on its last leg.

as soberbrain suggested, an iMac(or maybe an Mac Mini) sounds like the better fit for your needs.

4. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

How are you driving two external displays out of 2010 13" MBP?

5. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

6. macs4nw, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015

macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

It's virtually impossible for us to give you meaningful advice, but we can suggest things to consider before making your decision. It seems to me you are satisfied with the rMBP. Now consider that no matter whether you buy basic configuration, or all maxed out, or anything in between for that matter, a similar tier rMBP is always going to cost quite a bit more than the comparable iMac, in addition to the fact that the iMac usually has the edge, performance-wise.

So if you were to buy an iMac you would:
    a) Save money
    b) Still end up with a slightly better computer
    c) Still have your laptop for portability at home and at work
    d) Be able to sell that external monitor and keyboard you currently use at home
    e) Save on AppleCare, if you were to purchase that. (APP for MBP is $249-$349; APP for iMac is $169)

If you were to buy a rMBP you would:
    a) have the portability advantage of two rMBPs, but
    b) miss out on all the above mentioned advantages

For your consideration. Best of Luck!

7. markovchain macrumors member

A desktop Mac (iMac or Mac Pro) and a Macbook (or MacBook Air) is good enough.

8. cruftuun thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the feedback. I ordered the iMac last week :).