Buying a secondhand MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Aepac, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Aepac macrumors newbie

Hi there everyone from Barcelona, this is my first post here but I have been around this web for months since I found it...

Finnaly I will be a switcher with a secondhand MacBook Pro, so as I buyed it from Ebay I need some help with a few questions.
    The guy that selled it told me at his last mail, that this Mac is really new -March 3th- and for this reason the warranty is still for 1 year, thats true? I mean, as this is a secondhand Mac I'm not loosing the warranty? He have to transfer it to me or something?

In theory the Mac should arrive tomorrow morning here, how can I check when it was turned on for first time? And by him?

The specs of this '08 mac are:

Widescreen of 17 inches
    SDRAM DDR2, 4 GB at 667 MHz each
    ATA 320 GB at 5400 rpm hard drive
    DVD±RW/CD-RW
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512 VRAM
    iSight

How is it for 1984$? (1500€)...

Thanks in advance for all your help! ;)

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

mac2sell.net is a good starting place. They're a place that's trying to buy your used system, so it's a bit of a low-ball figure, but it's a good starting place. You can also use it to negotiate the price downward if you're buying from a private seller....

3. omarjk macrumors regular

I believe the OP has already bought this MBP.

Warranty - the warranty attaches to the computer, not the owner. So, you will have the benefit of the warranty, and if you choose to sell the laptop within one year, then so will any purchaser. You can also still purchase Applecare, which many on this site, and myself, would recommend.

Price - you have forgotten to include the processor speed (Ghz). 1500 euros does not sound like too much; especially when you consider that my friend in Austria was pating around 1200 euro for a MacBook (not Pro) last year. Further, when I was in Swedem, the price of Macs was crazily high. What I am saying is that as much as you might resent it you will usually pay more for Macs in mainland Europe than the UK of the US.

That's your premium for having great weather and food.