Buying a sim free vs a Verizon iPhone 8. Which is better ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Knockoutjosie, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Knockoutjosie macrumors 6502a

Knockoutjosie

Buy it sim free from Best Buy or get it through Verizon?

2. geemiller05 macrumors 6502

From my understanding, if you buy the Verizon model at full retail it’s the exact same as the sim-free model. However, I’m not 100% on this. Hopefully someone else chimes in.

3. Wags macrumors 65816

Didn't think Best Buy sold sim free phones

4. Knockoutjosie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Knockoutjosie

I believe they do

5. comptr, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017

comptr macrumors 68000

Yes Best Buy does but not all locations, you need to call the location your going to and talk to the mobile dept to make sure they have it before you waste your time going there and they don't have it.

6. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

If you’re paying outright, always get the SIM free version. Less hassle if you choose to leave Verizon later on.

7. msooffutt macrumors member

From my research, because I am interested in this as well, is you are probably better off buying a unlocked iPhone from Apple. If you go the bestbuy route, you must buy the verizon version. You must put in a verizon sim, first, and then put in whatever sim you want after that. From what I unstand, bestbuy sells Universal iPhones (not unlocked iPhones) which lock to the first carrier who’s sim you put in first. If you buy the verizon version (from bestbuy) and you put in T-Mobile, for instance, it will work, but if you try to move to another carrier, you will have a problem unlocking it. Apparently what happens is T-Mobile (insert any cellular company besides Verizon here) has trouble unlocking in because it’s not in their system. Verizon doesn’t lock their lte phones, that’s why you put in a verizon sim to activate to them first, and then you can go to another carrier. From what I’ve seen, you can buy dead verizon sims to do this. I haven’t tried this myself, so do your own research before trying.

8. blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

Verizon and SIM-free models are the exact same. Verizon does not lock their phones, and you can confirm that directly from their website.

http://www.verizon.com/about/consumer-safety/device-unlocking-policy

If you purchase the iPhone from Verizon or SIM-free from Apple (or Best Buy), you are buying the exact same, global capable device.

Attached Files:

9. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

As long as you pay in full, all 4 carriers are unlocked.

But bear in mind that only Verizon/Sprint iPhones are fully carrier-interchangeable, thus will work with any carrier (AT&T, T-mobile, Verizon, Sprint).
    AT&T/T-mobile iPhones, however, can only work interchangeably with AT&T/T-mobile.

10. Phillyphil0302 macrumors regular

If you buy the Verizon model, you’d have to pay activation fee to the big red. That particular phone must be activated with included sim first...feel free to correct me if I’m mistaken

11. maverick22 macrumors 6502

Just to add, if someone buys an iPhone at Best Buy on payments, it will be locked to that carrier. Once you pay it off (and of course get it unlocked), it should then work on any carrier, correct?

12. msooffutt macrumors member

This is an example of what I've been reading about in regards to iphones bought from bestbuy. https://www.reddit.com/r/VerizonUDP...hrough_best_buy_will_lock_to/#bottom-comments

Might want to do more research before buying from bestbuy. I don't have any personal experience, but there is a lot of info out there about "unlocked iphones" from bestbuy not really being unlocked unless activated by a Verizon sim first. Anyone have experience with this?

13. maverick22 macrumors 6502

That's what I have heard too

14. Wags macrumors 65816

So you need to activate on new account or existing account first before can use on another network ?

15. oplix Suspended

oplix

The only difference might be carrier specific models will support carrier specific LTE bands and/or CDMA

16. Phillyphil0302 macrumors regular

Yeah, I believe that’s how it works...they wanna charge you that $30 for ‘activating’ your phone even if you’re a Verizon customer

I recently switched from at&t to Verizon, and when I purchase the X we’ll find out for sure if this is true. I was always able to get these bogus fees waived/credited by at&t but will see how it goes with Verizon

Any Verizon customers wanna chime in on this?

17. msooffutt, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017

msooffutt macrumors member

I'm not sure, but there are sellers on ebay selling old verizon sims to use in unlocking phones. I bought one, but have no idea if this actually works. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Verizon-Nan...418594?hash=item2cc1f1ed22:g:IBEAAOSwofxUjcne

Anyone know if these actually work?

18. MacTea macrumors member

Yes, I think this will work to unlock "Best Buy" phones that require Verizon SIM at first to completely unlock them.

19. avanpelt macrumors 68030

If you buy an iPhone for use on a Verizon account at Best Buy or anywhere else, it is an unlocked device from day one — even if the phone is purchased on a payment plan. Per Verizon’s agreement with the FCC several years ago (before the iPhone 5 was launched, I believe), Verizon got a deal on spectrum but in exchange for that, they had to agree to not lock any LTE device to their network. Thus, every LTE device that is purchased explicitly for use on Verizon’s network is, by definition, an unlocked device.