Buying a stylus. Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by AVInc, Mar 26, 2011.

1. AVInc macrumors member

I see many products online for stylus and many videos on YouTube of people using it.

Is it worth it to buy a stylus for $15 or so?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. katyoshi macrumors 6502

I use it with penultimate not for taking notes, but using it during meetings, work, show people example drawings etc. Very light stuff. It's difficult to find the perfect note taking app smooth enough to use a stylus. For notes, I just type.

3. phantomsd macrumors 6502

phantomsd

Just bought a BoxWave stylus ($15 on Amazon... Supposedly the best) for some doodling and light note taking... Also with PenUltimate. I'm a graphic/web designer trying to go paperless :D

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Is it worth buying a chainsaw? A blender? A sewing machine?

All depends on if you'll use it or not.

I have a stylus specifically for highlighting PDF files via PDF Expert. Works better than using my finger in this instance. I never use it for other stuff though.

So point is, a stylus is worth it if you have a need for a stylus. Otherwise it isn't. :)

5. whiskeyred macrumors regular

I use the boxwave all the time and really like it. I also have an Alupen and it is solid as well. I take a lot of notes at work, do simple sketches and find myself discovering more ways to use them both. I recommend one and for the price of the boxwave it's worth it - IMO. The Alupen is thicker, and great for drawing I can also write well with it but prefer the boxwave for writing.

6. KylePowers, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

To the OP,

I recently bought a Targus stylus from my school's book store (Apple section). I had been researching styluses for awhile, but decided to just pick one up locally just in case I wanted to return it.

My uses? Well, I'm an electrical engineering student, so the ability to simply pull up a notetaking app (I highly recommend x 10000 the application called UPAD) and draw circuits, analyze some digital logic designs, and knock out some diff-eq problem sets without reaching for different notebooks, folders, computer (for class PDFs), etc is amazing. I feel like I've exponentially increased my organization and productivity with my iPad 2 + stylus.

So, for me, I'd totally recommend it... but it comes down to what you'd use it for. I rarely use it for playing games or web browsing (though it's always hooked to my iPad case, just in case the time comes to make use of it), but for taking notes and doing school work, definitely. I also like to draw, so it's ridiculously convenient and fun to just start doodling on different types of "paper", with different widths, stroke-types, colors, etc.

As for what I think of this Targus stylus: It's okay. It's my first attempt at using a stylus on a capacitive touchscreen, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I've adapted to it and can write/draw pretty well with it. To be honest though, the point is a little squishy (though rubber) and sometimes it's difficult to continue a stroke on a previous stroke (like, lining the stylus up). It's also a little on the short side (shorter than your average writing utensil) and a little light. The texture is nice though. But I'm looking into another stylus... perhaps an Acase 2nd gen (for note taking) or an oStylus (for drawing/sketching). We'll see, we'll see.

Cheers,
    KP

7. holyindian macrumors 6502

I have both the boxwave and targus brought it from bestbuy. I think targus is better, lighter and has better touch capabilities than boxwave.

8. vrillusions macrumors regular

vrillusions

I use a stylus with the Notes Plus app and it works nicely. Can't really tell if it's better than just using my finger aside from not smearing the screen. I've taken notes like twice since I've had the ipad though. The stylus just stays in my laptop bag since notes is the only time I use it. Haven't done much doodling it on ipad yet aside from stick figures :)