buying a touch in USA and using it in UK?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pieseller, Oct 5, 2007.

1. pieseller macrumors member

hello,

if i were to purchase an ipod touch in the USA on holiday then bring it back to my home in the UK would i experience any problems?

for instance would wifi still work properly, is charging still the same,or would i maybe have warrenty issues?

any help would be great.

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Ask an Apple rep in the UK to make sure..

I also think that the Touch may have problems with UK English as opposed to US English... :p

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You only get a USB cable in the box - no charger - so that will be fine. Wi-fi is an international standard so no problem there either.

I've done exactly that... and set my keyboard to UK English - which automatically switched the predictive text dictionary to UK English too. That impressed me ;)

It's a worldwide warranty - but you'll have to go via the Genius Bar rather than getting a retail exchange generally. And you can't buy US Applecare. You have to wait til you're back in the UK if you want it.

4. thegrandmaster macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

You can change the language on the Touch to UK English?

Nice, I'm wanting to get a touch in the US eventually to take it home to England, so its quite important for me...

5. TheCloud macrumors newbie

You might have wifi issues. US devices use 2 channel less (the last two) than European wifi devices - meaning you may not be able to see your wifi access point (not too much of a problem, as you can change the channel on your own ap) and also you wont see some public aps that use those channels.

However what i dont know is whether the touch uses them just by telling it you are int he uk in setup. I will see if we can try it out in the office

thanks

Owen

6. thegrandmaster macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

So you're saying that the Touch can only detect WiFi networks on certain channels?

I was under the belief that there were 11 WiFi channels that it was possible for a base station to operate on, and that anyone searching for Networks searches all these channels.

Could you explain what you mean a little better?

7. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

it doesn't matter the ipod touch should search all wifi channels, as wifi is a internationally known technology, the problem will be how your router is set up, the channel should be set automatically because many of the channels in the UK suffer from interference on certain channels.

8. NorfolkMustard macrumors regular

There are 13 valid channels in the UK ( and elsewhere )
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Technical_Information#Channels

9. TheCloud macrumors newbie

I have owned US versions of devices before that would only work on 11 channels - its not an issue retricted to just AP's. Its an unknown with the touch so I sould check before buying

10. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

I bought my touch from LA a few weeks ago. In fact, we bought two.

Both are fine, and there are no problems. Wifi works perfectly for both of them.

Absolutely no issues, go ahead and buy one and enjoy it. I don't have my Touch on me right now, but I seemed to remember setting it to International English. I'll confirm it in a few hours if you want.

11. thegrandmaster macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

Ah ok,

I'm with you now, I hadn't realized that the US had 2 less wireless channels than Europe.

Thanks

12. Mercod macrumors newbie

There shouldn't be any warranty or power/charging issues. I bought a first generation iPod mini in New York when they first came out and have used it in the UK ever since. I added the UK Applecare to it when I got back with no problems. I still have the US two-pin firewire charger which works in the UK with an adaptor and is very useful on trips to US :) - it even works to charge the iPod touch. I miss the days when Apple included a charger with ipods!

13. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

No problems whatsoever.

I bought mine in Florida and i'm using it here in the UK with no issues. Finds and connects to wireless access points/routers just fine. I've connected to four so far and they have all just worked. Like Appplespider says - you can change the language to UK English in the preferences so it's just like having one you bought in the UK.

If you haven't tried one out yet - they are so much better than you are expecting.....and I was expecting a lot :)

14. thegrandmaster macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

Excellent! Thanks for posting your experiences. The best I've got so far with a Touch was playing with someone else's on the bus, but I might just be making my way to an Apple store this weekend...

15. ianmoticon macrumors newbie

Yes, but what about the issue over the different number of WiFi channels in the US and UK.

I'm thinking of buying a Touch when I go to Canada this year. However, if it works 95% of the time I won't be happy. I want it to work on all available WiFi channels in the UK, otherwise its functionality is restricted unecessarily.