Buying a Ultrabook help me decide!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by solsearchin, Aug 30, 2012.

1. solsearchin macrumors member

Hey all, I'm in need of a "budget" ultrabook my Mac is used at work so I need a home computer. I'm not interested in another Mac due to the price to be honest! I've narrowed my search to 2 ultrabooks I like that fit my budget what do you guys think is the better option? ( hope you all don't mind a pc question on a Mac forum =) )

Samsung 5 13.3"
    AMD A6 2.1 ghz
    6gb ram 1333mhz ddr3
    500gb hd ( would throw in a cheap ssd regardless)
    Radeon 7500g video card?

( yes I know this wouldnt technically classify as a ultrabook but it is without the intel processor and ssd lol)

Lenovo u310
    Intel i3 1.8ghz ( ivy bridge)
    4gb ram 1600mhz ddr3
    500gb Hd 32gb ssd
    HD4000 graphics

Any advice or input would be awesome, good or bad !

2. takezo808 macrumors member

The lenovo has a better CPU. AMD has not made a competitive CPU since Intel released the core series. The intel HD is prety good GPU. You can play most PC games with it, just not a uber geek mode. some games must be reduced to below HD graphics but still plays.

There is lots of crapware that needs to be removed fro either one. Driver updates, OS updates, core software updates, endpoint protection software installation. AVAST free is great.

then you can use your ultrabook while wishing you had saved up for a macbook air.

3. Bauer24 macrumors regular

Um, neither? Sorry to be frank but I wouldn't recommend either one.

First, there's really no such thing as a budget ultra book. These machines are designed to be cutting edge in balancing battery, power and weight. If you find a "cheap" ultra book, it's probably woefully underpowered and/or has crappy battery life.

What is your budget?

4. utl768 macrumors 6502

id go for a refurb macbook air before either of those

5. iamsen47 macrumors regular

I'm using the Samsung 5 at work. It's too heavy to be an ultrabook. Get the Lenovo.

6. MrAnthonySutton macrumors newbie

I personally like lenova machines. If it wasn't for the mac I am getting ready to purchase, I would definitely buy a lenova laptop.

But this is just preference. Buy what you think feels comfortable to you, they are both... "decent" machines.

I would still choose a refurbished macbook air over both of these but that is understandable coming from a mac based forum.

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Such a fanboy thing to say, but I agree lol

8. RickyB macrumors regular

9. solsearchin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all your opinions, like I said in my original post, I am not looking at another mac. Both of these "ultrabooks" I can get for 400$ all inclusive ( I get discounts on PC's only) a comparable mac is twice the price. So I say again, mac is out of the question for me this time around.

My main reasons for going with an "ultrabook" over a plain pc is they feel a lot more solid than plastic laptops (most are alum or similar) lol, lighter, a bit better battery life, no optical drive (yes its a plus for me since I never use it and less things to break down lol). I don't really game, main use is surfing the web and streaming ufc.

10. solsearchin thread starter macrumors member

So I went to the store to look at both and it really made me miss my Mac lol both felt slower than my 2010 core 2 duo 1.4 lol

11. Bauer24 macrumors regular

Probably because of the HDD.

Look, honestly, how long are you planning on keeping this machine? A few years?

Is it worth possibly regretting the decision to buy a MBA simply for $4-500 bucks? Can't you save up and buy it in a couple months?

12. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

What's your budget like? For around $800 you can get the Lenovo u410 ultrabook, which has an hdd and ssd iirc as well as an i5 and 6-8gb RAM (I'm currently considering this one myself)

13. ep1cn00bt00b macrumors newbie

Save up for longer so you can afford a base model 13" Air. You will be much happier in the long run.