Buying a US Mac Mini for the UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scriptdaddy, Jul 13, 2009.

1. scriptdaddy macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm heading over to the US in a few weeks for my honeymoon. (LA for 2 day's, Hawaii for 10 days then 2 days in San Fran) I was wondering if it would be possible to purchase a Mac Mini from the US and for it to work in the UK?

It would work out a lot cheaper if I could. I know I'd have to be careful of getting caught at Customs in the UK, but again, this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I believe I would need to use a Plug adapter, but am I missing some obvious that would prevent it all from working?

Thanks
    Ben

2. Noonzio macrumors member

You are not missing anything. However, note that US sold Mac Mini's are advertised (i.e. the tech specs on the Apple website) as having a 100 to 120v power adaptor. This is not the case and the adaptor is in fact 100 to 240v.

I bought a Mac Mini from the US which I use in Ireland - when I bought it I completely forgot about the power adaptor (assuming it would be the same as Apple's laptops) and when I opened it I thought I was going to have to fork out another 55 euro for an Irish / UK adaptor - but I rang Apple in Cork, Ireland (the European HQ) and they confirmed, once I'd given them the serial number, that the Mac Mini (and its adaptor) would safely work in Ireland.

Been up and running since early May, with no problems. Didn't even bother with a plug adaptor, just wired in a new 3 pin plug!!

3. ruku macrumors member

Nope. Just ask at the store anyway. The power brick is the only thing that could be different but I strongly believe it would accept international voltages.

4. AVR2 macrumors 6502

What would be the deal on warranty service for that? Would Apple UK accept it without question?