Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
Hello Everyone,

I have finally decided to buy a PowerBook and enter the Mac World.
However, I am currently studying in Germany.The problem is that I
don't know if it is possible to buy a PB from the German online apple
store with a US-keyboard layout. As well, I want all the s/w installed
on the PB to be in English.
I can't buy the PB directly from the US store because it will be subject
to additional taxes in Germany!!!

I have never used MacOS X before (GNU/Linux user here). But from what I
have read it is easy to switch the OS language, is that possible as well for
the other pre-installed s/w.

In a nutshell, I want to buy a US PB from a non-US online apple store, Is it
possible? (I have no problems with the price, just a matter of localization).

Any suggestions/ideas are welcome,
Thanx.

geese

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
Compile 'em all said:
In a nutshell, I want to buy a US PB from a non-US online apple store, Is it
possible? (I have no problems with the price, just a matter of localization).

Any suggestions/ideas are welcome,
Thanx.

Why not try and buy one from the UK or Ireland store? As its within the EU you shouldn't be heaped with additional taxes, and it'll be in English.

But i've noticed that if you try and order a PB from the UK shop, you have a choice of either English or the French version (why not other languages?). Maybe you can give the German Apple store a call, may be able to sort you out an English version.

If Apple get difficult, buy a mac from a non apple UK store, like http://www.dabs.com

handy?

w00tmaster

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2004
While I was in Japan

my co-worker bought a US powerbook from the Apple Japan store, so you should be able to in Germany. The only difference really should be the keyboard and the language of the OS(which you can change)

panda

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
problem? no problemo

i live iin denmark and had the same issues, which are simple to resolve.

the answer is - no problemo, you can get the language and keyboard as you stated.

if you go into the german apple site (http://www.apple.com/de) and find the powerbook you want in the apple shop, they have an option when ordering called:

Sprachversion der Tastatur & Mac OS

in there you can choose OS intl english + english keyboard.

as simple as that.

europe has much better warranties by lay than the US... 2yrs i believe, even tho apple only says 1 year. you also have a 10 working day return policy from reception date of the machine, no questions asked.

remember that you can apply to get the tax back (vat) when you leave the eu within 1 year of purchase, if you are a non-eu citizen. i think you have to have the customs authorities stamp your invoice and you send that to apple for a refund (keep a photocopy of course). but please check with apple germany that this is correct.

buting in the uk means a different plug.

the adapter converts to 110 and 220v automatically of course :)

anything else?

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Give them a call 08002000136 ... you can get the language and layout you want... I had the 12" PB rev. a with English KB layout. No prob.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
geese said:
Why not try and buy one from the UK or Ireland store? As its within the EU you shouldn't be heaped with additional taxes, and it'll be in English.

But i've noticed that if you try and order a PB from the UK shop, you have a choice of either English or the French version (why not other languages?). Maybe you can give the German Apple store a call, may be able to sort you out an English version.

If Apple get difficult, buy a mac from a non apple UK store, like http://www.dabs.com

handy?

Umm...I don't think its the French flag you're looking at. The tricolore with green-white-orange is the Republic of Ireland's flag - the UK store is only in English. :D :p

virtuapimp

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2005
Shropshire, UK
MOFS said:
Umm...I don't think its the French flag you're looking at. The tricolore with green-white-orange is the Republic of Ireland's flag - the UK store is only in English. :D :p

:D No I think geese means when you configure your specs on the order page you have the choice of a french keyboard and/or French OS. But yes the actually store is in English.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
virtuapimp said:
:D No I think geese means when you configure your specs on the order page you have the choice of a french keyboard and/or French OS. But yes the actually store is in English.

Oo er! Sorry geese - that is a bit random that the PB comes with either a French or English keyboard/OS. Why not German? :confused:

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
Thanx for the replies. That was even more than what I wanted :D.
You are right Panda. There is an option called "HinterBeleuchtet Tastatur & Mac Os (Int'l Englisch)" which means that both are in English.
Thanx once again guys

panda

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
you're welcome

Compile 'em all said:
Thanx for the replies. That was even more than what I wanted :D.
You are right Panda. There is an option called "HinterBeleuchtet Tastatur & Mac Os (Int'l Englisch)" which means that both are in English.
Thanx once again guys

happy that you sound happy... and i wish you a big welcome to mac world. i (we) like it hear and am happy you are coming on :) :) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.