Buying a used 23" Apple Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iMacHardYee, Jul 2, 2010.

1. iMacHardYee macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, this is my first post on mac rumors!

Anyways, I am thinking about buying a 23" used cinema display off of craigslist. The owner says that the monitor is 5 years old and doesnt have any dead pixels or stuck ones. I would of course hook my new macbook pro up to it before I buy it and make sure it works, but what are your guys advice on buying something like this? I am a design student and I need a screen bigger then 15". By the way, the monitor is $300 and please dont tell me to buy a new one because I definitely do not have the money for it. :apple:

2. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

It's an aluminum one, right? That's a great monitor.

The only common things you need to watch out for will be apparent when you plug in your mbp:
    How bright is it? (the backlight can lose strength as it is used over long periods)

Does it have a connector that will work with your lappy? I *think* all the aluminium 23" ACDs have had DVI-D connectors, but Apple has used some odd connectors on their computers and monitors over the years. For that one I would first email the seller before you go through the trouble of a meeting in case there is no chance it will work for you.

Other obvious things: dead/stuck pixels, physical blemishes on the screen.

Good luck. I have one of these that is about 3 years old and it is a great monitor.

Edit: oh yeah: welcome to MR!

3. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

If it works, $300 is a steal :). Check if there's any weird color tint issue and you should be good to go.

4. Pixellated macrumors 65816

If it is the aluminium - Great buy, but if it is the old white plastic one it may not be...

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

I have the 23" aluminium, and I find it a great monitor. $300 for a good one is good price.

There was a freeware program called "Light" from www.imagectrl.com that would make the entire screen go whatever colour you wanted (I mean the entire screen - no menu bar, no dock - absolutely corner to corner.) I use it to occasionally cycle through white/black/etc to check for dead stuck pixels. Try it on a Mac first though, to get the hang of it. It may be shareware now.... but I think it's a great little program for testing any monitor occasionally.

Good Luck :D