Buying a used 24" iMac, what should I look for & know?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by IshDisturber, Aug 19, 2008.

1. IshDisturber macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I am seriously thinking about picking up a used 24", 2.8ghz, 3GB ram, 500GB iMac off of craigslist. It also has a 3yr Applecare warranty that I have verified on-line which is reassuring. Apple.com also indicated that it was manufactured in mid-march 2007.

My question is: What else should I consider and investigate when I go see and test the machine? Are machines built during that period reliable etc? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

If the deal is too good to be true...then it is...don't get scammed. If the price difference between this one and a refurb isn't much, I'd probably go for the refurb.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Go refurb. it puts people at ease of mind. the pricing shouldnt be too suspicious or else its a scam. just go refurb, it's like brand new, and sometimes you get upgrades for free, if the original owner ordered it with upgrades.

4. shdowman macrumors member

How much is it?

I know a lot of student stores at colleges all over the place are offering that model for $1250 and $119 for the apple care.

If you know someone who is a student maybe you can convince them to help ya out??

I have seen those all over the place for about 1400-1600 unopened with new apple care.

I got the current gen 2.8 24" 320g HD with 1066 FSB and 6MB cache for 1500 on Craigs List and it was brand new unopened. So patience can be a good thing.....I kept checking all the time until I found the newer gen for the same price as the previous gen :)

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

6. IshDisturber thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I think the price is decent, not a incredible deal by any stretch.

I figured that the main positive is that the machine has almost 3 years left on the Applecare warranty which can serve as some protection.

I would obviously physically inspect it before I any cash exchanged hands. I just wanted to know if there are any specific things that I should look for to ensure all is well with the machine. Certain settings, specs, etc... sorta like a checklist to follow.

Suggestions?

7. macdot macrumors 6502

8. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Make sure you verify the apple care...it's really easy for the seller to say their machine has "3 years of apple care".