Buying a used ACD (23"), what should I look for ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by darkus, Dec 31, 2009.

1. darkus macrumors regular

Hi everyone, i'm buying a used 23" Apple Cinema Display and i'm probably going to just pick one up cash on the spot. Is there anything I should specifically look for when getting the display so I know I'm getting a good unit?

Thanks everyone!

2. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

look for discoloration (yellowing) and also the pink cast on very early models

3. studio¹³¹ macrumors 6502

studio¹³¹

look for ghosting and flickering -- both mine and my fathers 23" acd has had both issues...

4. darkus thread starter macrumors regular

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I'm guessing you're getting an Aluminum one, but just in case you're getting one of the acrylic models, also be sure to check out the stand on the back. Make sure the hinge isn't broken and that its still tight.

6. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

We have a number of ACDs (aluminum) at work and all of them have what appears to be staining on the top of the display right under the white menu bar.

You can hardly see it when the menu bar is there, but as soon as you do something without the menu bar (full screen photoshop) you can see it.

All of the monitors were purchased at the same time and they all have this problem (total of 5) although some are worse than others.

I would be pissed if they were mine, however, when dealing with company property, as long as the display turns on, I guess it's okay :) .

7. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Also look for dead pixels, bring up a white screen and see if there are any abnormalities.