Buying a used Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by sonicrobby, Nov 9, 2017.

1. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

What should I look out for when buying a used apple watch?
    Obviously physical scratches and dents. But the iOS devices have those damn iCloud locks to check for, is there anything like that on the apple watch?

Thanks!

2. KrisLord macrumors 68000

Apple watches also have the same activation lock as iPhones.

Apple used to have a site for checking the lock by serial number but it was removed.

I’d expect a watch being sold to be ready to pair (ie it shows screens like in the attached doc) as if it’s ready to pair it would have prompted for activation lock to be turned off.

Unlike with an iPhone where you can force a reinstall of iOS without removing activation lock, I think that’s difficult with an Apple Watch as it can’t be connected to a Mac/pc via a cable.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204505

3. KrisLord macrumors 68000

Also, if you’re buying an older model watch out for people selling original models as series 1. If it doesn’t say a series number on the back, it’s an original model (series 0)

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If you plan on purchasing a used Apple Watch, I would suggest also finding one that has AppleCare attached. Because if you receive it and it has any defects, you're going to wish you had some form of insurance to help cover any issues you might uncover at a later time.