Buying a used G4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by johntommybob, Mar 27, 2008.

1. johntommybob macrumors member

First, I ought to say my computer needs are modest, and that I have a G4 450 mhz cube with a 40 GB hard drive and for me that's been plenty big. Plus, where I live I can't get a fast DSL connection unless it is by satelite, and I'm not going that route.

But I am still running OS 9.2.2 and I am a little concerned if I try to put one of the newer OS 10 operating systems on it it will not be fast enough. It's getting hard to browse the internet on OS 9.2.2

I saw the following G4 on the internet:

Apple G4 Pedestal Computer. Features G4 1.25GHz Processor. 17" LCD Screen built-in. CD-RW/R (writing) Drive (opens with key on keyboard). 160 GB Hard Drive. 256K L2 Cache. 512MB RAM. GeForce FX 5200 graphics.

The picture shows it turned on with the OS 10 system on the screen. It doesn't say which OS 10 system is on it, and it doesn't come with any manuels or the install system software. It is not on ebay, but it is an auction and the current bid is $254.00.

Anyone know any thing about this model, and what it might be worth?

Thanks,

JTB

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

G4 Pedestal Computer? What the heck are you talking about? You mean a G4 iMac?
    [​IMG]
    Either way $254 would be an 'ok' price. I'd say get a machine over 1 GHz and you should pay between $150-300.

3. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

The absolute lowest that I've gotten someone to agree to on that machine is $375, so I say it's a good deal. Get it. I decided that the $375 was too high for me since I want a 12" powerbook as well, and decided that two G4s in my apt was excessive when I should save my money for a MBP...

4. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

I would say that's a deal. If you need more you could get a used Mini and a cheap lcd monitor for 6-800.00

5. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

:eek:

You should be able to run Tiger on the cube without much problems. It requires at least a G3. Why havent you tried to upgrade? OS 9 is shockingly old, G4's came out around the same time as OS X and would have no problem running it.

6. johntommybob thread starter macrumors member

Actually I did buy the upgrade to OS 10.1 very soon after I bought the Cube. As I remember I paid about $100.00 for it, but I had no software for it, so every thing I wanted to do I had to revert back to classic. That really slowed down everything, and so I found it easier to just stay in OS 9, and I just stayed, and stayed, and stayed. I am not alone. Apple even has a forum for those of us who plug along with OS 9 and if it were not for many of the internet sites using software the browsers I must use in OS 9 choke on, I still wouldn't think about changing.

7. Yves Creebs macrumors newbie

You... are... insane.
    OsX is the best Os ever + i'm constantly surprised at how much improvement Leopard is over Tiger. It took a few years for OsX to take off, but it's ok to make the switch now.

I'm curious, why stay in os9?

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

For all you questioning OS 9, it is a pretty darn good OS. Yes, its old, but for a 450 MHz G4 its really really fast.
    And yes, when OS X first came out I used 10.0 and 10.1, even 10.2 minimally while still using OS 9. Cause there wasn't any software available for OS X at those times.

9. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

I too am curious. I don't doubt the speed of OS 9 on older machines, but it must surely feel so 'crippled' in comparison to OS X.