buying a used G5 for a graphic designer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rhodges555, Jan 7, 2009.

1. rhodges555 macrumors newbie

greetings all! i have been a windows user for years now, although at my last job i worked on a G5 and loved it. i have been researching converting over to a mac recently, but am wondering if i am looking into buying the right thing. i have dual monitors that i will use on my mac, so i only need the tower. the used G5 seems to be a great deal, as i would like to stay in the $1500 range. i am a graphic designer and use photoshop, illustrator, etc.
    this one for example seems great:

Apple Computer
    Power Mac G5 Desktop Dual 2.7 GHz - Apple Computer M9749LL/A
    memory: 2G
    120GB HD

am i understanding that a min of 2.7GHz and min of 2G memory are the two main things that i need to focus on as far as speed and reliability for graphics programs? and also, that needed graphics card is already installed on a G5?

much thanks in advance! i feel as though i am flying blind, and every post i see references a laptop!

2. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

My powermac G5 1.8 Ghz single core ran Photoshop CS1, Illustrator and Quark with no problems at all. I also had about 2.5 GB of ram which helped.

Not so sure how CS 3 or 4 will run on that model but should be great. Max out the ram if you can.

3. JasO macrumors regular

I would suggest you try and get a SINGLE core MacPro, one of the earlier ones. Look in the refurbished section, and see what sort of price difference there would be between the PowerMac and MacPro.

4. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

I would also suggest looking for a (used) low-end Mac Pro. That 2 x 2.7 ghz G5 will be fine for now though, but won't run the next version of OS X, which most likely will come in 2009, and we don't know if Adobe will make CS 5 Intel only. For the next 2 years that G5 will certainly be fine, but it won't last you much longer if you want to use the latest software software.

5. spunklemonkey macrumors member

Not sure why you cant get an imac core 2 duo for that price?

Ask the auction person if they havent put it on:

1) core 2 duo
    2) core duo
    3) non intel

(in order of best)

Should be able to get one

6. rhodges555 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks so much

that is great! i appreciate everyones feedback---especially the thought that the computer might become outdated in a year or two. this gives me some great questions to ask.
    cheers!

7. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

$1500 is high for that configuration. You would be able to get one on ebay for $1000 +/- $50 and perhaps cheaper locally on craigslist if you get lucky with someone selling it.

8. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Power PC is dead. I would NEVER buy a G5 unless I got a screaming deal and planned to never upgrade the software. Adobe had announced lack of PPC support in upcoming versions of CS. So, unless your going to stay with earlier versions you're going to be screwed. You're better off buying a lessor refurbished iMac or Macpro. If that breaks your budget, then you're better off to keep saving. If I were you, I'd buy a refurb Macpro or wait a month or two to see if Apple updates the Mini or iMac, or buy a Macbook Pro. You can find awesome deals on previous generation Macbook Pros in your price range. Those would handle your needs for the next few years.

9. 3.1416 macrumors regular

What he said. And pretty much any Core 2 Duo will be faster than any dual G5. If you have $1500 to spend, you can get a new iMac or used MBP that will be significantly faster than the G5, not to mention being supported in the future.

10. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

Second that. Intel only. To buy a PPC mac now will only cause software problems in the future. Flash CS3 is a great example I've seen where the PPC version is unstable because they spent all their time on the intel version. We haven't got CS4 yet, but I doubt adobe is working hard on the PPC binaries for that either.

That and Intel's chips have taken leaps and bounds since Apple switched to intel. I don't have a direct conversion, be we've had almost every iteration of Powermac and Mac pro come and go in my workplace. With that very unscientific information I would say that our 2.7ghz PPC setups would roughly equal our a 2.0ghz intel setups in raw speed (we render in after effects mostly). And that's dual vs dual. Now the Intel MPs start at quad core.

I would suggest getting rid of one of those screens and getting a recent intel iMac. A dual 2.4 C2D iMac would beat a dual 2.7 G5, and I think the graphics card is probably better anyway. Plus, Intel, so compatible for years to come. Built in wifi and bluetooth, warranty, etc.

11. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

My 1.8 SP G5 is running CS4 super smooth. You will be good with the dual 2.7Ghz. However if you want it for the long haul you really need to consider an intel mac. I think you can get a Mac Pro 2ghz quad for under 1500 btw.

12. Pixellated macrumors 65816

A Mac Mini has similar speed and power to the G5.