Buying a used imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Freeman3030, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Freeman3030 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Ive been researching iMacs for quite a while as I would really like one. I've been so tempted over the past 3 weeks to buy the outgoing model, but after reading that there is to be a new revision on the iMac makes me want to wait.

I'm so desperate for one though! This is going to be my first mac... So I've been looking at the refurbished iMacs on apples website.
    I'm really stuck in limbo, do I wait for the new processor and thunderbolt and whatever else might come with a new iMac, or buy the current model?

What i need to know is, will the current iMac be sufficient for what I need to do.

I do all the usual, email, web browsing etc. But I also what to

*stream video using apple tv (probably daily)
    *do occasional picture editing using aparture
    *I do want to connect an external hdd for extra storage space (is FireWire 800 fast enough?)
    *I'm really interested in GarageBand, and would love to learn the piano
    *create a website
    *play the sims 3 occasionally too

Also, what are refurbished apple products like, are they likely to have scratches etc? Or do apple clean the right up to look brand new?
    Do you get apple warantee? If so, what are you covered for?

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

To be completely honest, you could do all those tasks with a lower end Mac (i.e. Macbook), however I know how you feel, iMacs are just awesome.

Anyways, I would go ahead and buy an iMac (the lowest end model would be great) for all those tasks. Of course, you could wait, but if there is an update, its not going to be anything MAJOR or a HUGE jump (i.e. from i5 to i7 in all machines).

My personal suggestion is, buy one if you have the money.

3. Freeman3030 thread starter macrumors newbie

That was my exact trail of thought, but to buy new or used, having had no prior experience with Apple. I'm dubious about buying a refurbished one, will apple have a note in the item saying if there is any cosmetic damage ton the iMac?

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You wont notice a physical difference between new and refurb. They are often never even used once.

5. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

You honestly will not even be able to tell the difference. Apple replaces the exterior if it was badly damaged in the past. Its honestly better buying a used one, and if you have any problems, all refurb macs come with a 1 year warrenty, and you can additionally purcahse the 3 yr warrenty if you feel the need to.

6. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

The used one is a really great deal as well. Apple gives you 1 yr of standard warrenty with it, and allow you to purchase the extended warrenty.

7. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Never had problems with refurbs, and with apple even if you do you have the excellent apple warranty or in the EU the option to return.

8. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

You can do all of those things on the current iMacs just fine.

Thunderbolt will probably not become mainstream for a while, it's very new consumer technology and you won't see things popping up on shelves in stores for years, so don't make a big decision on that.

Refurbished Apple computers are great. They come with the same warranty, they look just the same as a new product, and chances are because they were returned they were tested thoroughly to make sure they function properly, so you won't get a dud.

You should just go ahead and buy one if you have the money :)