Buying a used iPad - what to check for?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sonicrobby, Nov 6, 2014.

1. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

So Im looking to purchase a used iPad Air from craiglist. But Already having purchased an iPhone that was activation locked, I want to take precaution as to what must be done for me to attain full possession of the device.

If the iPad is not wiped, will all I have to do is get the owner to turn off find my iPhone?

If the iPad is wiped, all I would need is a wifi connection and make sure I can set it up to my icloud info before the original owner leaves?

Is that the only thing I should look for (software-wise)?

2. masterz13 macrumors newbie

The main concern is making sure the person turns off activation lock before you can use it. Otherwise, you will go home and have an unusable iPad since it will lock you out. Maybe meet in a public cafe or McDonald's and make sure they reset it to factory settings and then sign in to remove the lock?

3. MelanieShepherd macrumors newbie

Would also be a good idea to test the iPad battery life span, in case it has battery draining issues. I'm not sure how this can be done easily, but if you bring it to an Apple store, they should be able to help you test the battery.

4. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/

5. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

if its a cellular model i would suggest checking the imei number on swappa or another free website to make sure it isn't blacklisted.

https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/ like spink10 mentioned will tell you if his serial number or imei # is cleared to be sold. you could check it before even bothering to show up. but some people don't want to give you their imei # because they are worried about fraud