buying a used iPad wif- + 3G

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tkadrum, Mar 8, 2011.

1. tkadrum macrumors member

I found an iPad wi-fi + 3g for cheap and thinking about buying one.
    What should I look for?
    Should he contact his carrier to remove account info? etc..
    HELP
    I want to make sure that I am not getting rip-off on my purchase.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. deeddawg, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

deeddawg macrumors 604

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here, I would think you'd look for the usual stuff:
    • Is the condition as described? No scratches, chips, dents, gouges not disclosed previously?
    • Check the liquid damage indicators (google for examples, if I remember right, they're in headphone jack and dock port)
    • Does it come with cord and power adapter? Box is a bonus in terms of reassurance that it's not stolen. (no, Apple doesn't keep a database)
    • Does looking up the serial # on apple's warranty check site match with the seller's claim of how long they've had it (google for the site, easy to find)
    • Any dead pixels or dust under screen? Not so much an issue since it'd be under warranty, but be sure you know how much warranty is left so you can get any warrantable things addressed in time.
    • If there's additional Applecare past 1st year, be sure to get that paperwork and not just the seller's promise.

The black stripe and SIM card tray are obvious; make sure they're there if buying a 3G version. :)

3G data service is prepaid, so it'd be up to seller to clear out his credit card info. A cautious seller may keep his SIM card, should be no big deal to walk into an AT&T store and get a new SIM. (assuming US; same should be true elsewhere too)

3. BaBaBoooooooey macrumors regular

BaBaBoooooooey

i agree with everything posted by the guy above..
    Just so you know..when i sold my iPad on eBay, i took out the sim card as AT&T suggested....
    i think it costs money to get a new sim card for it...i would call to make sure, because it may make or break your purchase price if 50$ was added on.

4. tkadrum thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys/gals.
    Meeting him on Thursday and if all goes well, I'll be a proud owner of 1st edition ipad

5. tkadrum thread starter macrumors member

Question. Once I paid for the ipad, how do I reset to factory setting?

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Settings->General->Reset->EraseAllContentandSettings

A wise seller will have done this prior to the sale, but it doesn't hurt for you to do it again.

7. tkadrum thread starter macrumors member

I met up with the seller and got my used ipad from him. He is a developer, and he is planning to get iPad2. He has the receipt, and AC charger . The iPad is in mint condition and I am loving it.
    I think it was a great buy for $550: 64GB, wi-fi + 3g.

Now I must surf the web to find ipad apps. Any good FREE apps you guys can recommend?
    Thanks

Question: How can i transfer movies to my iPad? Most of my movies I have are in >avi

8. longwood macrumors regular

I think Apple took the VLC Player app off of the App Store, but if you were fortunate enough to get before that then you can go to the Apps tabs when you have your iPad plugged in, sync the app and then scroll down to the bottom where you can specify a file/folder that you would like to sync with the app.

9. tkadrum thread starter macrumors member

So I bought this CineXplayer and just found out that the player doesn't support AC3, so couple of my movies play with no audio. I also thought subtitle is supported, well it is NOT.

Anyway I could ask for a refund on the app purchased ?