Buying a used iPhone 5c. How to know it won't we iCloud locked.

jonawand

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Belgium
Hi,

I might be buying a used iPhone 5c for about half of the retail price.

But I don't know how I could be 100% sure that the device won't be iCloud locked?

I will be able to test the device before purshase. What should I asked the current owner to do so that I can set-up the iPhone like a new one?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Jon

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hi,

I might be buying a used iPhone 5c for about half of the retail price.

But I don't know how I could be 100% sure that the device won't be iCloud locked?

I will be able to test the device before purshase. What should I asked the current owner to do so that I can set-up the iPhone like a new one?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Jon
Attempt to set up the phone before buying. Be there in person when the seller wipes the phone. If it asks for a password to do so, and the seller cannot provide the password, it's locked and you should not buy it.

jonawand

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Belgium
Attempt to set up the phone before buying. Be there in person when the seller wipes the phone. If it asks for a password to do so, and the seller cannot provide the password, it's locked and you should not buy it.
Thanks!

And what actions should he take to delete everything so I can set it up as new?

jonawand

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Belgium
Erase all content and settings, not reset.

Using the erase function will bring you to the setup screen, where, if you have a SIM card, you'll be able to confirm it's not activation locked.
Is there any other way I can be sure there's no simlock on the device. I don't have a nano sim yet..

Bacong

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
don't waste your time wiping it. Just have him go into his settings and turn off Find My iPhone.

If he's worth his salt as a seller, he'll have the phone wiped with Find My iPhone already turned off.

jonawand

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Belgium
Thanks all for the info.

So the seller will be able so erase everything (especially find my phone) from the device itself.

He doens't have to go online to icloud te erase it?
Is there any way he could turn find my phone on back again by going online, even when the iphone is reset/erased to configure as new?

Regards