Resolved Buying a used iPhone, have a question bout it.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPawd13, Apr 26, 2013.

1. iPawd13, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013

iPawd13 macrumors newbie

Hello all, I'm recently thought of moving iOS from Android, and am getting an iphone from amazon, however it'll be used and it has some issues.

Completely mint, unlocked, but It has No Wifi and No Bluetooth. i have only one concern, will this affect data connectivity? Will i be able to connect to t mobiles 3G? Thanks for helping.

Oh, and by the way its and iPhone 4S. :)
    Again, thanks for responding!!

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

no wifi and bluetooth? what? lol

3. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Why would it have no bluetooth or Wifi? I'd be worried about it if I were you.

4. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i wouldnt buy a phone that wasnt working right. save your money for one in better condition.

5. iPawd13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I could afford an iPhone 4S with everything functioning but this one seemed great looking for its 'used' condition and here are two easons why I'm interested in it.
    1. I have no WiFi network at home, i do have internet just no WiFi.
    2. I have zero use for Bluetooth. :x

6. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

so what if you ever get wifi, or are somewhere that has a wifi connection that you want to use. it sounds like you already have your mind made up. no need to ask our opinions.

however, like i said, i wouldnt personally buy a device that wasnt functioning properly. who knows what the issue could be. then again, if its an iphone 5, its still under warranty and you can get it replaced for free. up to you.

7. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Buy a wireless router..assuming you have broadband. a 3G iPhone would be annoying to use with those slow speeds all the time, and you'd come close to data overages.

8. ImpKali macrumors member

You really should pick up a cheap 802.11n router; trust me, if you're at home, you don't want to use 3G on a phone for anything. Depending on your plan and carrier, if you used 3G all the time, you'd run into issues with your data cap and potentially video streaming (which is nigh-impossible on 3G to begin with.)

I wouldn't recommend buying that phone. WiFi is just too important to pass up in a mobile device, because even if you could theoretically live comfortably with a 3G connection, there are times you will be wanting to connect to public WiFi networks.

One question, do you really need a phone unlocked? Unless you do a LOT of travelling, mostly international, you could probably live comfortably with a subsidized phone. I just checked T-Mobile's site, and they offer the iPhone 4 for 18$ and the iPhone 4S for 69.99$. You only pay roughly 20$ a month either way, so I recommend you get a nice shiny new 4S from T-Mobile.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

My issue with this is why on earth are these two functions not working? What happened to the phone that wifi and Bluetooth are no longer functional. The phone is "mint", as you say, but two major wireless connections are shot. I would be worried about something being wrong with it that you can't see.

I also feel like it would be irresponsible for anyone to tell you that you are in the clear with 3G. Who knows? Maybe the phone has some fluke issue where only cellular data works? I wouldn't chance it. Of have to be getting this thing for well under $100 to even think about it.

10. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

Sounds fishy, get a different one. Even if it costs alittle more, who wants a handicapped device right out the gate after spending $$$.

11. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I know it's confusing in his original post, but he went on to clarify that the device works fine but the wifi and bluetooth issues are on his end. An odd way to put that, though.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Ah. Missed that.

And I agree. Odd way to explain that... Issue.

EDIT: wait, Rereads his responses and I'm still not reading them in that the issues are on his end. The way I'm reading it is, the phone doesn't have a working vluetooth or wifi , but the op doesn't mind, since neither does he.

13. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

no, i just reread the original post. its pretty clear that the phone he is looking to buy doesnt have working wifi/bluetooth. if a software restore doesnt solve the issue (which i assume anyone wouldve tried) then its hardware related. so either the phone was dropped and broke the antennas or the phone fried them. if its the latter, then he could possibly have it replaced under warranty. but if it broke from a fall or if the original owner opened up the phone and never connected the antenna or broke something, hes out of luck.

bottom line is i wouldnt buy a phone that was broken unless i knew 100% what the issue was so i can repair it myself. since the reason why its not working is unknown, i would definitely not buy it.

14. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

well, read his second post then, bro.

----------

or maybe I need to. idk. this thread is blowing my mind.

15. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

his second post is saying that he has no wifi at home, nor a use for bluetooth. hes saying this as justification for buying an iphone that has broken wifi and bluetooth.

my suggestion is whether he needs it or not now, doesnt mean he wont in the future. therefore, not to buy a broken phone.

16. Abu Hassam macrumors newbie

Well, my personal experience it has a WIFI IC issue.

i suggest you dont buy this phone cus i have recevied many iphone4s from customers, actully 50% is possible to repair this problem just heating wifi ic

somtimes its work some times its not. so better look another fresh phone.

Regards,

17. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

I'd pay no more than 50 bucks for it.

18. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

OP seems to be lacking in some knowledge of the phone he is buying, and cannot communicate correctly with the members. Perhaps he should do some more leg work, and find out what this phone does, and does not really have. Perhaps a link would have helped or copy and paste for us to look over.

19. sim0n macrumors member

I would stay well clear of it because chances are if the wifi and bluetooth dont work that there will be other things affected too, which you probably wouldnt find out until you come to update ios for example. I understand why you might think its a good buy as I have no use for bluetooth or wifi either but seriously i wouldnt touch it.

20. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Don't do it!!!! You might as well give that money away. Phone sounds like its doomed to fail...:confused:

21. 617aircav Suspended

It's not rocket science that buying this phone is a bad idea. Then again it all depends on the price. OP if the phone suits your needs go-ahead.

22. iPawd13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally received my iPhone 3G in the mail. It's new and shiny.. Yay!!

Jk.
    Got a 4S with everything working. Gonna set it up now. :p