Buying a used iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LaynieGorilla, Nov 8, 2013.

1. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

If I buy a used AT&T iPhone is there a possibility that the phone will be block due someone else's NON PAYMENT? I know they block stolen or lost phones but what if the previous owner doesn't pay their bill in the future? Am I affected? Or does it not matter if my sim is in there now?

Thanks

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

the only thing that AT&T can block for non-payment is the SIM card of the account holder, not the phone as far as i know. as long as their SIM is removed, the phone is free to be used with an another SIM. this however isnt true for CDMA phones, which are tied to the number since they are programmed to the account as well. people who try to sell their CDMA phones which are in default will not be able to be activated on another account until the carrier cuts the tie. GSM phones should be free and clear once the SIM is removed.

3. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

I would not buy a used iPhone unless it is from someone that you know. The previous owner can easily scam a buyer by reporting the phone as stolen and getting it blocked that way.

4. LaynieGorilla thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I bought it from a store that tests before they resell but I still wasn't sure if it could hit me later.

5. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

I have seen a store try to sell a phone that was Apple ID locked.

Said he bought used phones to resell, but he was scammed, therefore selling the phone he was scammed on as parts only.

----------

I thought the phone can be locked also if the phone was purchased on a 2 year contract and the customer stopped paying.

6. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

no for a GSM phone, the accounts SIM card will be blocked, not the phone. if you pop the SIM out, you should be able to put another valid card into it. the network will switch the IMEI off the old account to the new one and since the new account is valid, the phone will work. if the phone was reported lost or stolen, different story...the IMEI could be blocked.

7. rlb4 macrumors member

Is there any way to prevent that from happening(IMEI being locked)?

8. Cmw9555 macrumors newbie

I do not think this is true, Tmobile and ATT will blacklist IMEI numbers for non-payment. And as of this year the two share the same blacklist. Down here in central texas this is a huge problem. Everyone can go into either store and pickup the latest samsung or apple product on the payment plan, stop paying and sell on craiglist.

I think that your best bet is to type up a bill of sale that explicitly states that the phone is paid in full, not stolen, etc.. Take a pic of the guys license, and license plate and nicely but firmly tell them something like this, "I am a busy guy but if you screw me over I will devote large amounts of time and money to find you and take you to small claims court where I will win"

9. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

im pretty sure IMEI blacklisting is only for lost or stolen phones. OP, if youre so concerned, call at&t and ask them....they are the carrier....its their rules and policies.

and Cmw9555, threatening a potential buyer is not always a good selling practice. im sure if the OP uses their head and gathers the buyers info, they will be covering themselves. no need to threaten legal action from the get-go. if someone did that to me when i was buying their phone, i would tell them nevermind.

10. Cmw9555 macrumors newbie

Hmm you are right, after re reading my post is does seem extreme however I would still suggest get the license to be safe.