buying a used iphone

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cherylzyx, Jun 20, 2010.

1. cherylzyx macrumors member

cherylzyx

I've got a question that is probably going to sound stupid to most of you but I just haven't figured out a good answer on my own. I'm putting the question here in community discussion because I don't want to get flamed for asking a stupid question in the iphone forum. :)

Why are used iphones selling for so much? If someone wants an iphone they can get a new one for $200. Don't you have to have a contract with ATT for them to work anyway so why wouldn't someone just get the iphone from ATT?

Would someone please be kind enough to explain the secondary market for iphones? I just don't get it.:eek:

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I guess people like a bargin, even if its only by a small amount.

3. paulisme macrumors 6502

Because you don't have to re-up your contract if you buy your own phone. Also, people unlock them and use them on other carriers.

4. Shyfty macrumors member

In Australia you can buy pre-paid credit, so buying a second-hand phone can be worthwhile. You don't even need to unlock the phone. Just buy some credit from the carrier it was initially bought from and presto! New-ish phone, no contract.

Very convenient too, as credit can be bought at convenience stores, supermarkets, gas stations, newsagencies (et al).

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

This. There isn't really anymore to it.

6. cherylzyx thread starter macrumors member

cherylzyx

Thanks for the response guys. I was just surprised at how large and profitable the secondary iphone market is.

I'm getting my very first iPhone this week, I'm pretty excited.

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Congrats! It really is pretty awesome, and, if you are into the yearly upgrade thing, you can actually sell you old iPhone and get the new one with fairly low margin.

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I bought a locked, stock iPhone for myself for $285, used it a bit and sold it a couple months later - jailbroken and unlocked for $345. People pay for freedoms you can't otherwise get. It's supply vs demand. If the market was flooded with unlocked of jailbroken iPhones, the price would drop. The fact is, there are still relatively few people who actually know how to do it, so the price stays high.

Then again, there are price gougers who sell on eBay who simply buy iPhones cheap and resell them all undone for a nice profit. Profiteering.

The "secondary market" is other GSM carriers, like T•mobile - although, strictly speaking, not all GSM carriers will support the iPhone (at least that's what I read).

9. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

The full price of the iPhone is $599. The $199 price comes with a 2-year contract attached to it. Some people just don't want that 2 year commitment.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yup. $599.

$1000, $1100 for official unlocked iPhone in some countries.