Buying a used mac book pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maschil, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Maschil, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

Hello friends. I'm considering buying a used mac book pro with the minimum specs, i'm debating between the 2009 edition and the 2010 edition. I know the specs and so forth, but i am just wondering was prices are good for the 2009 edition? Apple has them refurbished (2010 edition for 899) but with tax its still about 1k...i;m seein the 2009 edition for cheaper on ebay then that but i am just wondering what are good prices, And if its possible to get apple care protection on an older mac book pro? lol thx

2. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

It's better to go refurbished, especially since you are buying an older machine. Those 1-2 year old hardware components can just die without warning and (are most likely not covered by apple care unless the seller said so). Even if the refurb is a little more expensive it's basically brand new, inspected by professionals, and given a year warranty before you decide to buy or not buy further warranty.

3. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

I stumbled upon this site and thought it was kinda cool I find the estimates to be a bit high especially for say craigslist but just for an estimate very useful

http://www.mac2sell.net/

4. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

+1. Good advice.

I'd be wary of Ebay for such a costly item.

I bought a used MBP off Craigslist, but I was able to see it and use it first. It came with some months of AppleCare left. The owner had the original packing materials, and the machine was in superb condition. So this sort of thing can work out well, but do be careful.

5. truciet macrumors 6502

the huge plus side of the apple store for refurbished macbooks you get a full 1 year warranty