Buying a used mac need advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ohla313, Jun 24, 2010.

1. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I've been looking at some postings on craigslist and came across some that are in a decent price range. But am not sure if it is worth it. Could I get a second opinion from you guys?

The first one has this serial number: W8831U5V0P1 for $675

The second: W80040CU8PW for $550

Thanks guys!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

First one is a MacBook (13-inch Early 2008, built in July 2008, week 31) with 2.4 GHz, the second is a MacBook (13-inch Late 2009, built in 4th week of January 2010) with 2.26GHz.

You can use Mac2Sell.net to look for yourself, but the second one is cheaper, besides it being newer than the first one.

The second has no Firewire, so if you need it, don't get it.

Why don't you post more details like RAM and HDD size of both machines and what your needs are? Because that is something we can't look up via the www right now with the information you gave us.

3. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Thanks for your help! Well I will mainly use the computer for word processing, watching videos and movies, doing some photoshop, and also for listening to music. Your basic college student stuff. I don't need firewire so its no problem.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then take the Aluminium one (550 USD).

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

5. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

The if they're in good condition the second one is a better deal for you. I recently sold my late 2007 2,2 Ghz white MacBook with 120Gb HDD, in really good condition for $600...

6. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

ok i just got off the phone with the 550 macbook and he said he switched out his stock 250gb drive for a new 250gb drive cuz the stock was a year old and he wanted to keep resale value high. he also said it was the 2008 model but had the NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphic card and 2.4ghz processor. he sent pics and I saw it being the one with the removable battery. Is this a right computer? When i talked to him on the phone he sounded like a college student but was selling it so low cuz he really needs the money..

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That seller is either lying to you or doesn't know anything.

As I wrote before, the serial number you have verifies, that this MacBook Pro is a 2009 model (released in June 2009) and manufactured in 1/2010, thus the HDD can't be one year old and the GPU is still the 9400M, as the 320M was used for the April 2010 update of the MBP line.

Enter W80040CU8PW at www.appleserialnumberinfo.com and see for yourself, currently they want to sell me something, but an hour ago it showed me the details I relayed onto here.

PS: You can use this site too: http://www.powerbookmedic.com/identify-mac-serial.php