Price Advice Buying a used Macbook from Craigslist...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Spaced Invader, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Spaced Invader macrumors newbie

I'm just thinking of buying a used macbook from Craigslist, and I've found a good deal on it and the seller seems legitimate enough... but I just want to be sure I'm not getting a stolen one or something, so what should I pay attention to, other than the serial #s matching (on the case and in OSX)?

Could the seller, if he actually had a stolen one in his possession, actually wipe out the original OSX, buy and re-install a new copy of OSX and that way avoid any flags that might be on that unit/serial number? As in, if you reported it stolen to Apple and that serial number got flagged, would he still be able to install OSX on it and demo it to me with all the online features (iCloud, etc)? Because I will test drive it and I thought I'd check for those too...

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

3. Spaced Invader thread starter macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro 13", i5 2.5Ghz, 500GB (2012 model), for $800. A bit lower than most other offers, hence why I'm a bit wary...

apparently it doesn't have Apple care, so I can't check much online with the serial #, hence why I am curious could he actually install OSX on the machine at all and connect it to iCloud and all the online services if it's not a legitimate machine (or rather, if it's red flagged)?

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

That price doesn't seem too out of this world but it is a good deal - that model is $1,199 new.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Technically he can. The original owner could remote brick it though. I don't consider slightly cheap pricing to be a red flag as there's no reason they couldn't list such a thing barely below market value and still see hits. There are all kinds of risks with buying a used computer, and none of them are really affected by price. Someone could spill water on the machine and then try to sell it before something fails, but a lot of them are fully legitimate.

6. Spaced Invader thread starter macrumors newbie

Gotcha.

Just trying to avoid the issue of potentially buying a "good deal" macbook that looks good and all only to find out that after a few weeks of me using it it's been flagged or something because of the serial # being reported stolen later on, or the OSX failing to function because it checked with Apple and got a red flag on the serial #... I've heard enough horror stories.