Buying a used Macbook Pro Fast answers plz help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RedCja2008, Nov 29, 2011.

1. RedCja2008 macrumors newbie

RedCja2008

I've never even touched a mac, but I do know I LOVE Apple. I know there's the normal issues with buying a used macbook pro, but I'm not asking about that. I found one for 900. Now I've already asked for pictures and shipping info and ALL of that jazz. It's a 15" and I'm visually impaired so 13 is too small for me. I'm currently using a 11" heh..not the best. My question is. Is buying a used 2009 model macbook pro a good idea? I mean I will probably never have the money for a new 15" or 17" and I'm trying to figure out if this is the best idea. it's got Lion on it already and the apple care runs out in June. if you need more here you go :::

Product Identifiers
    Manufacturer Apple
    Product Family MacBook Pro
    Model ID MacBookPro5,4
    Model Number A1286
    MPN MC118LL/A
    UPC 885909315710

Processor
    Processor Type Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed 2.53 GHz
    Number of Cores Dual-Core

Motherboard
    Bus Speed 1066 MHz

Display
    Display Technology LCD
    Screen Size 15.4"
    Display Max. Resolution 1440 x 900

Technical Features
    Security Features Kensington Lock Slot
    Expansion Ports 2 x USB 1.1, 2 x USB 2.0, HDMI, RJ-45 (NIC)
    Expandability 1 x MMC Card Slot, 1 x SD Card Slot
    Special Features Integrated Video Camera, MagSafe Power Adapter Port

Hard Drive
    Hard Drive Capacity 250 GB
    Hard Drive Rotation Speed 5400 RPM
    Storage Controller Type Serial ATA

Memory
    Installed RAM 4 GB
    RAM Technology DDR3 SDRAM
    Max Supported RAM 4 GB
    RAM Speed 1066 MHz
    Installed Cache Memory 3072 KB

CD / DVD
    Optical Drive Type DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW
    Optical Drive Read Speed 24x (CD), 8x (DVD)
    Optical Drive Write Speed 24x (CD), 4x (DVD+R Dual Layer), 4x (DVD-R Dual Layer), 8x (DVD+R), 8x (DVD-R)
    Optical Drive ReWrite Speed 10x (CD-RW), 4x (DVD+RW), 4x (DVD-RW)

Video
    Graphic Processor NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    Installed Video Memory 256 MB

Audio
    Audio Output Type Headphones, Line Out, Sound card, Speaker(s)
    Audio Input Type Integrated Microphone, Line In (3.5mm), Microphone, Optical Digital In

Networking
    Networking Type Bluetooth, Integrated Wireless LAN, Network Adapter
    Data Link Protocol AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n

Battery
    Battery Run Time 5 Hours
    Battery Technology Lithium polymer

Dimensions
    Depth 9.82 in.
    Height 0.95 in.
    Width 14.35 in.
    Weight 5.5 lb.

Miscellaneous
    Release Date June, 2009
    Input Method Keyboard, Trackpad

Sellers words:
    Great computer updated with newest OS. Only reason to sell is that I got a smaller Mac for easier travel. This will come with a black sleeve as a bonus! Nothing more than a few scratches on the bottom (not deep) and a few slight scratches on top. Screen is in perfect condition. Power cord and smaller plug adapter included as well. Apple Care protection still active on the computer!!

2. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

Think it's pretty simple to know if it's a good idea for you....

Just answer the question, will this MacBook Pro do what I need for my computing purposes? If answer is 'Yes', then this is a good idea....If answer is 'No', then not a good idea...

So, in order for you to answer this question, you need to be clear as to what you want to use this Mac for and does this Mac run the software well that will do what you want? Is the display large enough for your needs? etc, etc...

My point is that this MacBook Pro is an excellent and very capable machine...so, issue is not about merits of this computer. it's about whether it's merits and capabilities are suited for your needs....

At least that's my 2¢.....of course, YMMV..... ;)

3. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

First off, I think 900 for that MBP is on the tad 'daylight robbery' side. Secondly if you are comfortable with the 11" or can bare it, then the 13" will be a nice size increase, but as the previous poster said, you can only have your eyes and only you know what size screen to go for...

You may or may not have heard of the PowerPC platform, but they're the chips Apple used up until 2006, to help with your eyesight you can get 17" PowerBook G4, 1.67 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD, Mac OS X Leopard for $200 (Or £250 over here)

...But that's just me, the PowerPC luvva'

Whatever you decide to go for in the end, keep me updated! :D