Buying a used Macbook Pro Fast answers plz help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RedCja2008, Nov 29, 2011.

1. RedCja2008 macrumors newbie

RedCja2008

I've never even touched a mac, but I do know I LOVE Apple. I know there's the normal issues with buying a used macbook pro, but I'm not asking about that. I found one for 900. Now I've already asked for pictures and shipping info and ALL of that jazz. It's a 15" and I'm visually impaired so 13 is too small for me. I'm currently using a 11" heh..not the best. My question is. Is buying a used 2009 model macbook pro a good idea? I mean I will probably never have the money for a new 15" or 17" and I'm trying to figure out if this is the best idea. it's got Lion on it already and the apple care runs out in June. if you need more here you go :::

Product Identifiers
    Manufacturer Apple
    Product Family MacBook Pro
    Model ID MacBookPro5,4
    Model Number A1286
    MPN MC118LL/A
    UPC 885909315710

Processor
    Processor Type Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed 2.53 GHz
    Number of Cores Dual-Core

Motherboard
    Bus Speed 1066 MHz

Display
    Display Technology LCD
    Screen Size 15.4"
    Display Max. Resolution 1440 x 900

Technical Features
    Security Features Kensington Lock Slot
    Expansion Ports 2 x USB 1.1, 2 x USB 2.0, HDMI, RJ-45 (NIC)
    Expandability 1 x MMC Card Slot, 1 x SD Card Slot
    Special Features Integrated Video Camera, MagSafe Power Adapter Port

Hard Drive
    Hard Drive Capacity 250 GB
    Hard Drive Rotation Speed 5400 RPM
    Storage Controller Type Serial ATA

Memory
    Installed RAM 4 GB
    RAM Technology DDR3 SDRAM
    Max Supported RAM 4 GB
    RAM Speed 1066 MHz
    Installed Cache Memory 3072 KB

CD / DVD
    Optical Drive Type DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW
    Optical Drive Read Speed 24x (CD), 8x (DVD)
    Optical Drive Write Speed 24x (CD), 4x (DVD+R Dual Layer), 4x (DVD-R Dual Layer), 8x (DVD+R), 8x (DVD-R)
    Optical Drive ReWrite Speed 10x (CD-RW), 4x (DVD+RW), 4x (DVD-RW)

Video
    Graphic Processor NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    Installed Video Memory 256 MB

Audio
    Audio Output Type Headphones, Line Out, Sound card, Speaker(s)
    Audio Input Type Integrated Microphone, Line In (3.5mm), Microphone, Optical Digital In

Networking
    Networking Type Bluetooth, Integrated Wireless LAN, Network Adapter
    Data Link Protocol AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n

Battery
    Battery Run Time 5 Hours
    Battery Technology Lithium polymer

Dimensions
    Depth 9.82 in.
    Height 0.95 in.
    Width 14.35 in.
    Weight 5.5 lb.

Miscellaneous
    Release Date June, 2009
    Input Method Keyboard, Trackpad

Sellers words:
    Great computer updated with newest OS. Only reason to sell is that I got a smaller Mac for easier travel. This will come with a black sleeve as a bonus! Nothing more than a few scratches on the bottom (not deep) and a few slight scratches on top. Screen is in perfect condition. Power cord and smaller plug adapter included as well. Apple Care protection still active on the computer!!

2. foxyfabio macrumors member

Price is okay but the problem I would have with this purchase is the Core 2 Duo. This laptop will do well for another year, maybe two. But it will become obsolete quite soon due to OS updates. If a new MBP is too expensive I would go for an MBP with i5 off of Apples Refurb site.

3. RedCja2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

RedCja2008

To buy or not to buy

I want to get it at midnight when my check clears but I don't know if it's a good idea :(

----------

But OS updates you mean? I know what you mean but what's the deal with this model and the os updates that wouldn't work? And....refurb off apple.com is still too much :/

4. RedCja2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

RedCja2008

I was going for 15". 17 would be the better bet for me, but i can live with 15.

5. foxyfabio macrumors member

Hmm, well if you do choose to get this laptop you should keep in mind that you will have to get a new one in a year or two if you want to run the latest OS. If I were you I would save up and wait until March of 2012 when the 15 inch MBA/MBP is supposed be hitting the market.

6. warvanov macrumors 6502a

What he means is that the Core 2 Duo is an older generation of processors. You won't have any problems with it running any of the current software or the most up to date OS. However, a couple of years down the line it might not be able to run OSX 10.8 or 10.9, while if you save up a few dollars more you could get something that will last you quite a lot longer.

Consider these. Both 15" MBP but with the current generation of Intel Core i5/i7 Processors. About $400 more than what you're already thinking of spending.

$1319
    Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core i5
    Originally released April 2010
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC372LL/A

$1359
    Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel i7
    Originally released February 2011
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC721LL/A

Also, I'm not sure what the nature of your visual impairment is, but I'm not sure that the 15" screen will really be a lot easier for you to use than the 13" one. Make sure you visit an Apple store or otherwise have the chance to compare them side by side if you haven't already. The 15" screen is obviously bigger, but it's a higher resolution and the text may not really appear much larger.

7. foxyfabio macrumors member

Tell me about it. I had to start wearing glasses after getting a 17 inch!

8. RedCja2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

RedCja2008

Well surely there's ways to fix the display size like windows 7. And I'm hours from the nearest apple store :( What would be the drawbacks if when the time comes to upgrade to a new macbook pro that I don't? I mean I will probably be happy with the current OS

----------

The extent of my impairment. the font looks like I'm using 14pt. In the internet. But I mean on my moms if i goto her settings on windows and set it to large i can use the pc perfectly

9. lacoste-rocker macrumors regular

lacoste-rocker

Heck I am still running snow leopard and I am doing just fine, but I will be upgrading to lion soon. My pro is a Core 2 Duo and I am having no problems with anything I do. I am about to bump my ram up to 8 gigs in a few days and upgrade my hdd and I will be good to go. But I think you will be happy with what ever you get. A MacBook Pro is an amazing machine and will last you a good while.

10. RedCja2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

RedCja2008

I like your answer haha. I mean the most I'll be doing ever is editing pictures and graphic design. And the products out now suit me just fine. The average I do is surfing and such. Sooo...I'm thinking i'll get this one. :D I mean the apple care is still good. I don't want to spend over 1000. I have limits. And I've got minor ocd so spending the 900 is going to really take some effort. But I'm afraid I won't like it D:

11. lacoste-rocker, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

lacoste-rocker macrumors regular

lacoste-rocker

Trust me my friend you won't like it......YOU WILL LOVE IT!
    I mean not everyone can go out and spend $1,300. So I think you will enjoy your pro very much. Like I said they are great. sounds like your getting a good deal I would just go for it and enjoy your MacBook Pro. And trust me you will just enjoy the fact you can say that too!

12. RedCja2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

RedCja2008

Thank you! I'm excited I mean still having apple care for 6 more months or so is great too

13. ms.sarcastic macrumors newbie

Do you have a local Best Buy? There's a good chance they sell Apple products (most Best Buy locations do), and will have all the MBPs on display there.. so you can compare the 13" and 15" there.

14. lacoste-rocker macrumors regular

lacoste-rocker

This isn't a bad Idea but if he wants the 15" let him go for it.

Yeah that is really good. when you get it tell us how you like it.
    When will you be picking it up?

15. davidlv macrumors 65816

I have that exact same computer, I run Snow Leopard and use Office, several dictionaries, the web, and itunes constantly and it works fine. For more demanding tasks, it will be slow compared to the latest models, but still get the job done. That model only has the nVidea 9400M, while faster models in the same line also had a 9600M which required logging out to enable. Unless you are running demanding games, the 9400M should work fine. That model also has only one fan, and I run smcfancontrol, with various speeds set up to control the heat (it gets hot here in Japan in summer)!
    You should be OK with the 4GB of RAM for almost anything except running VMs, but the HD will fill up soon, prompting the purchase of a new HD (prices rising now due to the floods in Thailand):(.
    I'd say go for it and start saving for a new machine in a year or two.:cool::apple::cool:

16. foxyfabio macrumors member

You can install an Optidrive which allows you to take out the Optical Drive (which nobody uses anymore) and install a second Hard Drive/SSD

17. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

DOn't mean to rain on your parade but if it was me, I would not spend $900 on 2009 anything... Just saying.

You saved up $900 bucks(You can save more).. keep looking and worst scenario, I would buy refurb from apple directly or look for super deal.... never pay that much for 2009 tech... in almost 2012...

You are using 11 now.. you can certainly consider 13 as an option as well...

18. dsciel macrumors regular

i think spend a bit more for a laptop that can last for more years. and this one has max 4gb that you can put..it is a drawback for me

19. PaulyD macrumors 6502

I agree with this. for a few hundred dollars more you can get a much more current machine, will be certainly worth the extra now

20. RedCja2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

RedCja2008

Unfortunetly the 2009 was gone this morning after my check cleared. So...I'm really considering the refurb. 1189 with my education discount. But I was still hopeing for a bit cheaper :( I'm going to wait till around tax time to get one. I plan on getting my w-2 early if at all possible :) You guys have given me some honest answers and I appreciate that. And for information sake. I'm a girl xD. I could live with a 13" but I would really be happier with a 15" my mom has a 16" pc and I do fine with hers. I never thought of best buy >:U So now I must make a trip to winston xD The last time we went laptop shopping I think my mom herded me away from the macbooks soo i didn't see them haha

21. lacoste-rocker macrumors regular

lacoste-rocker

Well I am sorry to hear you did not get the one you were looking at, maybe it was not meant to be.
    But when ever you do get a MBP you will love it!

22. foxyfabio macrumors member

You can't get the ED discount with refurbs :( sorry.

23. snaky69 macrumors 603

That's not true.The 2009's can and will take 8Gb.