buying a used macbook pro off of craigslist HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erikalacey, Sep 17, 2011.

1. erikalacey macrumors newbie

Hi tomorrow I will be going to look at a used macbook pro near my area. I found the add on craigslist and this is the description on the page:

This macbook pro has been professionally refurbished by apple with a brand new logic board.they also ran all test and passed. macbook pro 17in running windows 7 ultimate on paralelles.loaded with osx10.6 snow leopard.also has all the software as seen in pics.this laptop is mint condition I would give it a 9.5 out of 10 .glossy lcd is very nice 1920x 1200 .I ran this for a long time and it ran perfect and fast.auction includes ac adapter and apple OEM battery that holds great charge.as with all my auctions no warranty and no returns.buyer should love this laptop.use thx.Hard drive is brand new

I know NOTHING about macs. I've always had a dell. PLEASE tell me if this is a good deal. and also, tips to know whether or not it will be a good purchase.

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Go to see the owner and the laptop in person.
    Check that it boots and is in good nick.

Request the serial number and check the information of the unit.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Depending on the price look at apples refurb section they come with a year warranty and look brand new

4. SurferMan macrumors 65816

As above check to see if it works smoothly (OS/X, booting etc). But also ask for the serial number and call Apple to verify... (and make sure that serial number is the same on the laptop when you actually see it ;) )

There are plenty on CL so don't worry if this one doesn't work out.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

I am skeptical. This machine has seen very hard use and I wouldn't trust it. The wording of the ad also concerns me. There are other choices.

6. Liquinn Suspended

Buy refurbished from Apple or new, if you can save up the money :p

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Go for it...you need to meet this person and have a hard look at it to make sure everything is working...I had a good luck buying a Powerbook G4 off CL 5 months ago. :)

8. mwhities macrumors 6502a

Strangely, unless you live near Jackson, MS... I noticed the same post last week. Be careful with it.

Post up what comes of it.

9. MOKHAN macrumors 6502