Buying a used Macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Murl, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Murl macrumors member

I found a 13" macbook pro on craigslist 2.4ghz 4gb ram 500gb hdd for $420. Is there a good way to determine if this is possibly stolen? Usually things that are too good to be true they probably are.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

At a price that low, I'd be real suspicious that it was stolen. I don't know of a way to check if it's stolen or not. If you can get the serial number you can run it past your local police department and have them run an NCIC check on it.

3. 7thMac macrumors 6502

There is a very high chance that this is stolen or there is some other scam.

4. Murl thread starter macrumors member

I suppose just meeting and asking for the serial number would probably tell you if it is stolen.

5. Jazurm macrumors newbie

If it seems too good to be true...it probably is

Exact quote from someone selling a MacBook Pro on craigslist, "I`m in London right now and I need to sell it cause I need money to lend a flat.. If you are sure you want it I can send it to you using a shipping company that will take care of everything, from shipping to payment, so I don`t need to get worried about the money."

Please don't fall for stuff like this. It's an obvious scam.

6. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Remember two things:

No Shipping and Cash Only.

If the deal does not meet these two requirements, then don't go for it no matter how good it is.

Most probably, when you email this guy, he will say that he lives somewhere else and that he will ship it to you. If not, he might be a legit seller.

As for it being stolen:
    Ask for the accessories that come with it. Box, disks, laptop bag, etc. Check if the magsafe is new or old. Phone the guy and ask for the serial number and check if it stolen.

I created a similar thread for a then current gen UB MBP 17 inch for $1200. Everyone here told me that it was stolen. But it wasn't. Sometimes, very good deals do land on Craigslist. But, In the end, only you can make a determination if the seller is legit or not.

7. Indy500fan1977 macrumors newbie

Let me add that it is probably fake as I have seen an add here on Indianapolis's Craigslist about a 13" MacBook Pro for $420. It could be a coincidence, but unlikely.

8. Murl thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I don't do the shipping, the ad said local sale cash only.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Could still be stolen. Does the seller offer a sales receipt? full packaging? Install disks? if not it's most likely stolen or defective.

10. RAWphenom macrumors member

murl, did this happen to be on the louisville, ky craigslist?