Buying a Used Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chenu, Jan 24, 2008.

1. chenu macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,
    I was wondering if you could tell me if this laptop that I'm purchasing from a friend is being sold to me at a fair price.

Macbook Pro
    15" glossy
    2gb ram
    Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz
    256 Mb Nvidia 8600M

Purchased in June of 2007.

The laptop itself is in perfect condition, and everything is included (battery, cables, etc.

The price is $1500.

I really want a macbook pro, but I can't afford the $2000, so is this ok?

2. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If a trusted friend came to me with that deal, I would jump on it. I would also feel like I was ripping him/her off.

4. chenu thread starter macrumors newbie

I was just cautious because guides like http://www.mac2sell.net/ say it is worth around 1510.

Also, before I buy it, should I run any diagnostic tools and such?

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Well, the refurb store says a similarly spec'd MBP is worth $2000+.

The one you're buying isn't as "like new" as a refurb, but if it's from a friend you know (and someone who treats their gear well) then it's still a good deal.

Is there an extended AppleCare warranty that can be transferred to your name? That would make it worth even more.

6. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

IMO, they tend to quote low. It's well worth the price, and I wouldn't bother with the diagnostics. It's from a friend, and it's only 6 months old. There are probably 200 people here who would have already forked over the money.;)

7. chenu thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure my friend gave me a lower price because I'll be a college freshmen next year and with 40k/year tuition, I don't have much for a laptop.

There is no apple care right now, but I'm planning on purchasing it before the 1 year warranty runs out. Should I jump on the Amazon.com or the apple education price, or should I hunt around ebay?

8. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I got Applecare for my MBP from Ebay for less than $200 - way less than Apple or Amazon charges...

It registered just fine...

9. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Any of those should do it. Just be sure to get AppleCare for a MBP. I purchased AppleCare from Apple using my education discount and saved more than $100 off the retail price. It could have been had for cheaper, if I had shopped around.

10. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

why are u posting this now...you should be buying that mbp

11. chenu thread starter macrumors newbie

I can add apple care until 365 days have passed since purchase right?

Also, how would I go about changing ownership of the machine to my name. I'm assuming that for me to add apple care, the machine (serial number) would have to be registered under me.

12. chenu thread starter macrumors newbie

So, I purchased the machine, everything is working pretty well.

Just to update the thread a bit, I purchased the macbook pro from craigslist from a prominent chicago area mac advocate who was a speaker at macworld this year.

A few things I wanted to clear up. The battery has around 200 cycles on it, and I'm planning on replacing it. Should I go with the apple battery, or go with one from like fastmac, or another company?

I also want to purchase a bluetooth mouse. Is rechargeability a factor i should consider, or is battery life considerably ok?

Also, I want to clean the keyboard, any way i can remove the keys? Or, should I just use compressed air?