Buying a used macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by originalcliche, Aug 7, 2009.

1. originalcliche macrumors member

Hey everybody

So some of you might know I got my laptop stolen and needa replacement.

I really want the 13inch macbook pro but I cant afford it however I need to get back to making music again so I need a macbook...

What kind of things/tests should I run to make sure the battery is decent if i do decide to buy used and does anyone here have any expierience buying used? and /or off craigslist?

Thanks for your help guys.

2. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

Alright I bought used items off of craigslist plenty of times, I went to meet up withsomeone, and my friend wanted to buy a Macbook Pro. He sold it for about 850 I believe it's the 17" OLD MACBOOK PRO.

He needed the quick cash and we had the cash ready we met up, we tested it
    battery/wifi/keyboard/dvd drive (MOST IMPORTANT)/ and the iSight and Mic and bluetooth worked flawlessly.

So just pick the right person, and if their ad seems to be legit, EMAIL them and if they are really down with the acution, then meet up with them.
    Try it out before you buy it.

Since you're already been using mac, you already know what to test out

good luck brother!
    and it worked great

3. originalcliche thread starter macrumors member

How can I test the battery? And see how much of a charge it holds?

4. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

download coconutbattery its all you need. good luck

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I doubt he'd be able to download coconutbattery on someone else's MacBook that he's merely testing. Besides, it's not needed. Just open the System Profiler and click "Power" in the left column. It will then display the full charge capacity of the battery, which should be close to what it was from the factory if the battery is in god health. You can also see the cycle count and the condition of the battery on the same page.