Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bryan47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Hey everyone

So later today I am going to buy a used MacBook on Craigslist and I just wanted your advice. First off, any advice on buying a laptop off Craigslist?
What tests should I run while I'm there to make sure everything is okay?

Second am I getting a good deal, I searched for a while to find this,
Mid 2010 unibody
15 inch
2.66GHz Intel Core i7
500 GB
4GB Ram
Super Drive

I am paying $750.
Mac2Sell values it at $1270

I would GREATLY appreciate anyone's input. Thank you!:apple:

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
When buying used items, I pay attention not just to the item I'm about to buy, but to the person selling it. There are tons of little non-verbal ways their behaviour can hint at the likelihood of problems you may expect with the laptop and how true their claims in respect to the device are overall. For example, if you get a vibe that the person is careless or clumsy with the laptop, that's a bad sign as physical damage resulting from it could be invisible of the case, but still cause damage to the hard disk. It would still boot and appear to work, but could have lots of bad sectors and give you trouble in the long run. Another thing is that if the person invites you to their home to inspect the item - that typically puts me at much greater ease, since if they wanted to unload a known dud to me, they would probably not want to me to know where they live so that I can come and bother them if the issue surfaces shortly after I start using the item. That said, I have bought numerous things with meetings set up in a coffee shop or some other neutral common area with no issues.

Bryan47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks for the help! I purchased it am LOVING it!

It came with the anti glare screen which I can't decide if I like it better than the glossy screen or not. I think I just like shiny things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.