Buying a used mid 2007 iMac from my friend...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dictoresno, Nov 4, 2013.

1. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

and it will be my first mac computer. im getting it for $200, so i think thats fair. its got Lion on it now, so from what i understand, i can update to Mavericks for free right? anyone running a mid 2007 with mavericks? speed still ok? my main desktop now is an old outdated Dell whos specs are about similar to the iMac's...maybe a little inferior to it actually. i will be running both machines in my house so i wont be fully ditching the PC. anything basic i need to know for my first apple computer?

also, when i get it, i will want to do a fresh/clean install of mavericks. will that be possible from within the OS or can it be done via bootable USB?

2. martosprint macrumors 6502

I have a 2007 20" iMac and I have updated it from Lion to snow leopard to mountain lion and lastly to Mavericks and it works okay. As for your last question I don't know because I never did a fresh/clean install. I never had to. I hope this helps a little in deciding what to do. Where in Jersey by the way?

3. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

$200 is a very good price. What size is it, which processor and Graphics card and how much memory?

Both of our kids have our old 2007 24" iMACS (Core2Duo 2.8 extreme w/ HD2400 I think w/ 4GB RAM). I haven't put Mavericks on them yet, but they run Mountain Lion fairly well and Mav should actually be better I believe.

4. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

im in union county. and im just hoping that its not going to be a bogged down machine. however, my 2005 Dell with 4GB RAM, 3.0 GHz P4 with a miserable 80GB hard drive runs windows 7 perfectly smooth. im really looking forward to getting it.

it has all the OEM basic options, 2.0 GHz Duo, 250 GB hard drive and upgraded to 3GB RAM. and yea, $200 is fair for both of us. gazelle offered $100 and i see similar systems on ebay for anywhere between $350-450.