Buying a used New Macbook??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mantik, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Mantik macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I would like to purchase a used New Macbook that is on sales on the internet. Can someone let me know if there is a way to know if its safe. I mean if it has been steel, will i have some proble with apple?? Is there a way to know if it has not been steel??

Tks for your answer.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The general rule is, if it sounds too good to be true - it is.

3. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Hi, Mantik. Welcome to the forum.

Coconut Identity Card can't tell if it's been stolen or not.

Where on the internet are you going to buy it? You should check out the refurb store on the apple website if you're in a country that has it. Make sure you buy from a reputable dealer or a trusted eBay member using well known methods of payments.

4. Mantik thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info.
    Its actually a good price that the guy is offering and it sound ok but i just want to be sure that i don't buy a stolen mac. If its the case, the only way i will be notice is that i will have problem with apple i guess right??

5. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

Well do you have a link to it, or can you tell us the price?

6. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Ask him if he has the box, receipt, charger and software disks. If he has none of those things then it's something you need to be careful with.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ask him to take a photo of the receipt, box, AC adapter, and Mac OS X disks that would come with a normal Mac. Make sure he takes a photo of the items sitting in front of his computer screen. Tell him to take a photo with your email on the LCD, and with all the items sitting in front.

8. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Be careful with method of payment. Paypal would be my preferred choice of payment.

9. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

When you buy it... check the serial number to see whether it's registered to the seller. It should be fine.