Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShadyMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2005
I'm looking to buy a used Power Mac G4, preferably a MDD. The machine will be use basically for iTunes, Mail App, Internet, iChat. I’m going to add RAM, Second HD and maybe a Airport Card. I was wondering what GHz should I look for, would I need to go with something that is 1.25 GHz?

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
If you are going to be using it for just those kind of Apps then you could get away with a 1Ghz. But I dont recall all the speed choices for a PM G4 so I cant really say which one to buy so if you can get a 1Ghz then get that, if not then get the closest to it.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Any speed MDD G4 would be more than adequate for those uses. Available in 867mhz, 1ghz, 1.25ghz and 1.42ghz speeds. Most are dual processor, although the 1ghz and 1.25ghz models were available with single processor.

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
you should be fine with any PowerMac, espicially if it has Dual Processors. I am running a 6 year old Sawtooth 400 G4 (upgraded HD and RAM) and it does what you are describing quite well. If you got a Mirrored Door machine, enough RAM, decent video, and enough HD room, you ought to be set for quite a while. (Anything over Dual 1Ghz is getitng along pretty well, even be today's usage).

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
My dual 533 in stock config ran great for the apps you intend to use - it was a "Digital Audio", not an MDD.

Personally I think that all of the AGP G4 PowerMacs (Sawtooth, Gigabit Ethernet, Digital Audio, Quicksilver, MDD) are good for iTunes, web browsing, chat and mail without any mods beyond a RAM update, and maybe a HD. The best part is that you can upgrade them piece by piece as your needs change, without spending a lot of money at once on a new computer.

Sargiel

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2005
West Sussex, England
My system is a single 533 Digital Audio I bought off eBay and have subsequently upgraded bit by bit. It met my (similar) needs out of the box and with all my various upgrades I'm starting to broaden my horizens ^_^

A MDD is very nice indeed and any MDD model will easily meet the needs you've outlined.

Good luck with your searching - hope you can find a bargain!

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
grapes911 said:
LOL. Sounds illegal to me.

Yep, there's a 99.999% chance that all of the software on that Mac, possibly even OS X, is illegal (i.e. downloaded and cracked). I would avoid that machine, or tell the seller to delete it and not consider it in the purchase price.

If you are uncomfortable with ebay you can always look into buying from a reseller like DV Warehouse or Mac of All Trades. Their prices are higher but there's generally better service and less chance for fraud.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
Just so you are not surprised the G4 1.25 DP tower is not a quiet machine. Not quite a vacuum cleaner but load enough to be noticed in the next room.

Easy to upgrade with plenty of RAM slots and hard drive and optical drive bays.

SeanChandler

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2004
Calgary, Alberta Canada
I agree with combatcolin

I bought a used B&W G3 350 for $50US and it works great

I have added RAM and a couple hard drives (sneakily removed from family member's non-used Dell PC's) and I just bought a SATA PCI card and a 250 Gb HDD for storing ripped DVD's

Next step is to add a TV out card so I can connect it to my TV and make it a jukebox of sorts

I also got a $0US Biege PowerMac G3/300 which works, I just have to decide what to do with it

I would go to lowendmac.com and thoroughly investigate the models you are considering - they are a wealth of information - I read enough there to make sure that I bought a Rev. B B&W G3

That's my $0.02US

Happy Tinkering

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.