Buying a used pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by d88co88, Sep 6, 2010.

1. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

Hi, I know that this SHOULD be in the buying and advice section, but I get more help here. My cousin is looking at buying a used 15" MacBook Pro. I've checked it out and it is a great deal for being only $400. The problem is, it has the 8600m GT. He is not rich at all and this is the perfect deal for him, but I might tell him to hold off if the 8600m GT is gonna cause problems. Is it worth it? Thanks!

2. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

So as a MR regular, I assume you are familiar with this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=515067

It's a tough call when someone is on a very limited budget. If the use is only for emails, internet, documents then the price might be right. however, once you start expanding to more robust media demands then this deal may need to be passed up. Plus the pressure is now on you if your cousin doesn't like the computer after the cash is paid out!

3. d88co88 thread starter macrumors 6502

d88co88

Yep, I'm familiar with it. My dad has the 17 inch version with the 8600m GT in it and has never experienced any problems except for the swelling battery and when it fell out of his bag, the logic board broke or something. I really have no clue what to tell him, he really wants it but doesn't want it to have problems.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

AAPL increased the timeframe to 4 years so if that machine has had any other repairs and the GPU Dies again, he could be eligible for a replacement.

BUT if the machine has any other problems that cannot be tied directly to the GPU then it's probably not worth it, and being only $400 i'd have to assume it's out of Applecare.