Buying a used PS3 or 360 for GTA V

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by NorCalLights, Oct 7, 2013.

1. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,
    I'm thinking about buying a used PS3 or Xbox 360 to play the new GTA. I'm not usually a console gamer (I do game on my Mac Pro), but I love story-driven games, and I hear the new GTA is pretty neat. I have a lighter work schedule now through the holidays, so I can't wait to buy the system until after the next-gen consoles are released. I'll probably buy a refurb from Gamestop, or find one on craigslist.

Anything I need to know? Is it better to buy a PS3 or a 360 for GTA? Are there any requirements for storage, or anything else?

I'm a total console novice. I think the last console I owned was a Dreamcast.

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

That's what I did. I went to gamestop and bought a refurb ps3 for tomb raider, also knowing gta5 was coming soon. I picked the ps3 over the xbox because I had played one years before and figure I'd be more comfortable with the familiar controller. The guys at the store will make sure you get one suitable for the game although I doubt there is a ps3 model that can't play gta3.

3. NorCalLights thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. I think I'm gonna check out Gamestop on my way home tonight. They have the slim for $230 or the original for $200.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get the slim, runs cooler and is quieter.

Personally I just bought a new Xbox 360E to play GTA V.

Much quieter than my old one (which is also on the other side of the world).

5. wabbit42 macrumors regular

Get a cheap PS3 and get a copy of The Last Of Us to go with GTA V.

6. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yes. Take this advice. I bought the old fat one and it gets hot and is actually pretty loud. It sits next to my wii u which is cold and quiet.

7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

GTA V isn't much of a story driven game IMO. So far it seems a mini-game driven game.

But if you go PS3, definitely get The Last of Us, the Uncharted series, the God of War series, and Ico/Shadow of the Colossus. Those are all fairly story driven games and all better games than GTA V IMO.

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx