Buying a used retina MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by abuzar1, Jun 22, 2014.

1. abuzar1 macrumors newbie

I am planning on buying a Late 2013 15" Retina MBP. The Iris Only version.

Anything in particular I should look out for? Also I am hearing about iCloud lockouts in used MBPs similar to the iPhone iCloud lockout. How do I make sure that they won't be able to lock me out after I buy it?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I'd suggest that you get a bootable Mavericks USB disk handy, so that on the first startup, you boot into the bootable Mavericks USB straight away, then you reformat the SSD and clean-install Mavericks, along with enforcing your own EFI firmware password.

Then that won't give the seller the chance to lock you out.

3. abuzar1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wouldn't that require me to sit and wait with the seller for 30-40 minutes? Most craigslist transactions that is not feasible.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You wouldn't have to wait with the seller. Just buy it, take it home, start it up with the bootable USB Mavericks disk and do the steps.

5. abuzar1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay the reason I am asking is because I'm looking at one and the guy says it used to belong to his ex-gf. Apparently she returned it when they broke up (very nice of her).

I just didn't want her feeling vengeful and locking me out later lol. So a reinstall and changing the EFI password (before I use the computer and log into iCloud) should take care of it then? And then later when I log into my own iCloud and it connects to the servers I should be fine?

6. omvs macrumors 6502

If you're going to wipe the machine immediately (which I'd suggest for many, many reasons), you could just do it with internet-recovery mode (Command-R). No need for separate USB disk on that model.

EDIT: When I sold a machine in the past, I reinstalled and powered down before the first boot - lets the user do all the first-boot setup, and I would assume at that point the machine can't be remote locked/wiped anymore (?).

7. abuzar1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think the problem with the iCloud is that it's not stored on the harddrive. Wiping it does nothing. It's stored in the EFI.

As long as he shows me there is no iCloud account attached to the laptop I'm thinking I should be safe?

8. Mcguyver macrumors newbie

I bought mine from an ex-owner online 3 weeks ago the late 2013 model, what I did was to restore to factory setting and reinstall OS X Maverick. Everything start afresh and is good to go. Is better to restore to factory setting especially you bought from a third party and you can customize to your own preference. The good thing is that the feeling is just like new though is a pre own piece. Another thing is about warranty issue, be sure that it is correctly transferred to you. If the seller still has the receipt that will be great, if not call Apple to update with your hardware serial number and Apple Care Plan registration number. You can also email to Apple your particulars including the receipt info (Proof of Purchase).Basically, is to protect yourself should you need to send in for service. Check with Apple staff that is transferred to the rightful owner to avoid unnecessary conflict in future. (Sharing this from past experience).

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

iCloud is stored in the hard drive all right, not in the EFI.

So to prevent yourself from being locked out, start it up via Recovery Mode immediately on the first startup to reformat the drive (and hence break the Mac's connection from iCloud) and clean install it. Then from there, you can link it to your own Apple ID and enforce your own EFI password.